Do we have a Facebook group?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pauljt71

Do we have a Facebook group?

Post by pauljt71 »

Hi folks, do we have a Facebook Page please? I’ve had a good look but can’t seem to find one. Just to clarify, I am not wanting to set a group up, I am just interested in looking at groups other people are members of.
Thanks Paul
Last edited by pauljt71 on Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
treefrog

Re: Do we have a Facebook group

Post by treefrog »

Not sure this site has a Facebook group, it would make this site sort of redundant. There are loads of random pointless Facebook groups with an association with slots, some U.K. some US based... Most seem to be bandit related and the ones geared towards wall machines rarely get posts.

You either love Facebook or hate it, I am the latter. It is not anonymous, you get the odd weirdo who pops up and responds to a post you add posts randomly disappear, often I am sure when someone posts a machine which secretly gets bought and post taken down.

Having said all that I have tried to help numerous people, sending parts to Canada, Italy, the US where someone seeks help. Problem is some seem so bloody ungrateful (not all). I remember one guy was looking for an old jackpot and I happened to have one and sent loads of pictures, asking they check it is right for the machine. Charged a very small fee and carefully packaged and sent... then got complaints it did not fit and never a thank you. Had similar issues and am starting to think about just ignoring people who have requests, like most do.

Facebook is not good as a reference: no categories or titles, so posts are lost forever. Tends to be people asking 'how much?' questions or showing off their latest shiny machine.

Moan over, if you want links to loads, happy to help and send the,......there is one that gets the most posts operated by a guy called Steve in the US

https://www.facebook.com/groups/antiqueslots

Others

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2034592506759421

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1620818808131205

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1660526180829090

https://www.facebook.com/groups/Vintage ... arketPlace
wembleylion

Post by wembleylion »

Facebook, please Mr P don't do it. It will be the downfall of this brilliant site as it has with many others.
John
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

wembleylion wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:24 am Facebook, please Mr P don't do it. It will be the downfall of this brilliant site as it has with many others.
John
I have no intention of setting up a Facebook page. Just interested to see if there are other pages people refer to as well as this most excellent one.
pauljt71

Post by pauljt71 »

treefrog wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:09 am ...if you want links to loads, happy to help...
Thanks for the info. Just looking at other resources and wondered what people are members of. Agree that this is certainly the most informative and friendly site. 😀
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Treefrog is spot on with his analysis of Facebook slot groups.
I dally a bit over there, but usually to refer people here.

Apart from not being able to search back or look for a particular topic it's not good for giving advice which stretches to more than a couple of lines.
And as mentioned, appreciation from others is scant, also some of the Americans don't believe there is intelligent life outside of the USA.

Stick a photo on FB of a dented gas boiler that's been relaxing in a bucket of paint remover after being attacked with an electric drill along with the question ..... "What colour should I paint this .....?"
And within an hour you'll have 3 replies shouting "HOW MUCH????"

I think most of us on here that use FB groups do so for Messenger, it enables you to quickly contact privately without looking up eMail contacts and is instant.

BP :cool:
john t peterson

Re: Do we have a Facebook group?

Post by john t peterson »

"...some of the Americans don't believe there is intelligent life outside of the USA."

BP. A good number of us are convinced there is NO intelligent life INSIDE of the USA these days. We'll see if my concern is correct this November.

J Peterson
Hoping for intelligence, USA
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

wembleylion wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:24 am Facebook, please Mr P don't do it. It will be the downfall of this brilliant site as it has with many others.
John
I started setting up a facebook page years ago, but it was locked down because they thought Penny Machines was not my real name... :!?!: I must admit, the only purpose envisaged for it was as a recruiting agency for this website. I couldn't think of anything that could be done on that platform which we couldn't do much better here. Clearly many collectors do feel it's worthwhile though. I can see its potential for picking up folk whose interest is insufficient to seek out and join a dedicated website. As we know too well, what starts as a passing fancy develop into an abiding passion. On the other hand, as TF's comments illustrate, there's a downside to recruiting lots of folk who just want a quick sale or purchase, without the knowledge, interest or desire to help anyone else.

Full disclosure - I'm not a fan
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

john t peterson wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 12:41 pm "...some of the Americans don't believe there is intelligent life outside of the USA."

BP. A good number of us are convinced there is NO intelligent life INSIDE of the USA these days. We'll see if my concern is correct this November.

J Peterson
Hoping for intelligence, USA
I think we've all got a vested interest in that outcome John Son of Peter.
My suspicions lean towards a further term if only because of his record regarding employment at home, and his bullish behaviour regarding miscreants and ne'er do wells who threaten the perceived social norm.

My comment about life outside of USA stemmed from a post originating from someone on FB that went along the lines of "Any Trade Stims going in Boston" Ignoring the grammar or lack of punctuation, I responded truthfully.
"I have three or four, I hadn't thought of selling but I don't play with them any more" and I sent him photos.
"Where U" was the reply.
"I'm in Lincoln" I said "Just under an hour from Boston" Now of course I had checked his location through his I.D. and saw they had tried to educate him in NY State.
The interesting response was " Well if you think can do Lincoln to here in hour, you bring them over, I often go New York and its four an a half hours by plane!"
To which I honestly replied "New York is even closer to Lincoln than Boston, but there's no flights" and to prove my point I sent him this map.
Boston to Lincoln via New York
Boston to Lincoln via New York

Interestingly he outright denied the veracity of my evidence and claimed my map showed the wrong Boston.
I suggested mine was the right one as it's the one the other 36 in the world are named after including the one he was in. Plus the same applied to the 42 places named Lincoln (according to my History teacher in 1966 and that nice Mr. Google 3 minutes ago)
I then (quite reasonably I thought) enquired if this meant he was not interested in my Trade Stimulators.
He quickly told me to attempt a manoeuvre which to this day I consider anatomically impossible, however I should have at least died in my own arms.
I offered to post him a fridge magnet from The Boston that The Founding Fathers started out from on their arduous tour via Holland and Plymouth. However a lack of further reaction from him suggested to me he was now comfortable with his level of education for now.

Was I norty? Had I been rooood? I believe all that happened was I responded to his opening post with the same arrogant assumptions he'd employed.

BP *BOWS*
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

:HaHa: :HaHa: :HaHa:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You had him all excited for a brief moment, you could have added Washington for good measure.

Why were so many residents of Lincolnshire so desperate to leave, maybe explains why it is so empty. :lol:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

BP,

A good tale, my lad. From the nature of his responses (as well as the lack of general knowledge or civility) I would guess this fine fellow to be a solid Trump supporter. You handled it very nicely, given the churlish nature of his replies. As for his intellectual aptitude, as we like to say here in the States, "he brought a knife to a gun fight."

J Peterson
Gunfighter, USA. !SHOOT!
barryisland

Post by barryisland »

Oh.....no thanks to Facebook for me, I am a new member.
I like this site as it is.
Cheers
BarryIsland