Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pauljt71

Anyone had tokens made for machines?

Postby pauljt71 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:09 pm

Hi folks,

I am looking into the feasibility of having play tokens the size of old one pennies made for my machines.

Has anyone here ever had any made or know a company that would be able to make me? Any information greatly appreciated thanks.

grains

Re: Anyone had tokens made for machines?

Postby grains » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:12 pm

Eurocoin make generic tokens 29mm diameter might be worth checking if these would be suitable.
https://eurocoin.co.uk/product/29mm-eag ... don-token/
Cheers

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:24 pm

The arcade at Carter's Steam Fair used rather cheap-looking penny-sized tokens for a while.

carter-token-2.jpg
Their ride tokens look much nicer.
carter-token-4.jpg
carters wrote:HOW ARE THEY MADE?
The first set of tokens were from Hoffman mint in America. The second lot we went to our token vending machine company (Suzo Happ) and then they got them made in Europe. We have bought a few hundred thousand tokens over the years to keep it all moving. They are made of 63% copper and 37% zinc.
The machines run with old pennies – it costs 1 token for 1 old penny, or 4 tokens for 8 old pennies.

coppinpr

Postby coppinpr » Sun Jun 21, 2020 7:30 pm

I have a about a hundred 1d tokens that were made for Carters so they are available somewhere
1d coin.jpg
ops! Mr P posted at the same time

pauljt71

Postby pauljt71 » Sun Jun 21, 2020 8:33 pm

Thanks folks, this gives me a good start.

brigham

Postby brigham » Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 am

..."The machines run with old pennies – it costs 1 token for 1 old penny, or 4 tokens for 8 old pennies..."
If the tokens aren't used in the machines, then what exactly is the point?

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:52 am

Wasn't it the case that some operators issued tokens from behind the bar and asked the player what value they wanted to play at then trade back winnings at the value staked? So play at 1d, 6d a shilling?!?!

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Mon Jun 22, 2020 11:52 am

brigham wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 8:00 am
If the tokens aren't used in the machines, then what exactly is the point?
They're for the rides. I'm guessing they're old-penny size, in which case they could also be used directly in the arcade. :!?!:
carters wrote:WHY DO WE USE RIDE TOKENS AT THE FAIR?
In 2014 we made the decision to switch from cash to tokens. We wanted to make things quick and easy for both our staff and customers and also wanted to keep a bit of ‘Carters magic’ too. If Disney can have their own dollars then we thought we could have our own currency too!

Using tokens instead of cash means that you don’t have to fumble around for the right change and our staff work more efficiently and make sure ride queues are kept to a minimum and you have a better experience. Our fair is very popular with teenagers who are given the freedom to come to the fair on their own – parents can book online and their teens can collect the tokens at the fair.
We open late into the night at many of our locations and it’s much safer for a ride operator to have a bag of ride tokens on him than storing cash from customers.
Each of the rides are 4, 5 or 6 ride tokens per person which is straightforward and quick to count out – something young children can do themselves, even if they are not yet old enough to recognise all our British coins.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Jun 22, 2020 12:40 pm

Not forgetting that using tokens/tickets on rides stops the "Gaff Lads" pocketing or short changing.
BP :tut
pauljt71 wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:09 pm
I am looking into the feasibility of having play tokens the size of old one pennies made for my machines.
I think you're adding a cost as well as removing the quirky attraction of handling the old money. Also the chances of punters walking off with new shiny souvenirs of their visit are much higher than old pennies.
Just saying.

BP !!THUMBSX2!!

pauljt71

Postby pauljt71 » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:18 pm

I think you are right BP. As long as I can keep a good supply of old pennies coming hopefully all will be well. 😀