Who made this allwin?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
Guido

Who made this allwin?

Post by Guido »

I would like to request your help on my allwin (pictured below).
It is quite small and clearly very old, but I have no notion of the manufacturer.
Do you think it could be an English Allwin? Or from Leipzig by Jentzsch and Meerz?
What do you estimates the year of construction to be?
It appears from the wood to be early.
The internal mechanism and the wood to which it attached appear to be later and not original unfortunately. There are some mysterious recesses and a hole (marked in red) on the bottom inside of the case.
Can anyone shed any light, or does someone have a similar machine?
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Looks like it has been made up from spare parts, or a conversion of an earlier machine like an Airship Profit Sharer which might explain why the mech has been made up of spare parts, and the gallery is low down on the playfield. Incidentally, the gallery is from an Electra; the door and brasswork looks like Jentzsch and Meerz; the case looks remade; the strange slot in the base of the case could have been made to hold the cash box securely. It could have been revamped in the 1930s. I have seen a lot of earlier catcher type machines revamped into Five Wins which would have been popular at that time. Hope this helps. I have pics of most things mentioned.
Cheers, Dave.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I agree with Dave - this is almost certainly not British and most probably German. Look for a stamped serial number top side of the case (a J&M wall machine feature). The externals do closely resemble J&M's Airship Profit sharer.
The case and mech board look original to me though. The mech boards tend to be of a lighter ply wood. Clearly the whole thing is not in quite the shape it was when first made and the mechanism has been revamped for use in Britain (hence the extra holes and marks on the board) possibly by the New Polyphon Supply Company. Datewise - late twenties to early thirties.