Challenging Bradley Challenger

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pinbot1

Challenging Bradley Challenger

Post by pinbot1 »

My first post!
A while ago I bought a Bradley Challenger in bits. All parts are there (except one brass slider which was for the blanked off central 6 coin drop anyway). Having degreased and generally cleaned, I am now at a stage of putting this back together.
It isn’t proving very easy sadly. I have tried various methods and sequences of putting the chrome coin slides and back together but can’t quite work it out.

Has anyone got any tips as to how to begin to reassemble this? I was trying to avoid taking anything apart more.

I’ve attached some photos.

Many thanks Kneale
Attachments
38E28F72-2763-431A-B66C-713264D6422Ba.jpg
38E28F72-2763-431A-B66C-713264D6422Ba.jpg (12.2 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
7BC87F24-666C-4FB5-B872-9B8E643FB5C1a.jpg
7BC87F24-666C-4FB5-B872-9B8E643FB5C1a.jpg (21.53 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
1A3D2618-E362-47DF-B941-5657CF9FAC1Ea.jpg
1A3D2618-E362-47DF-B941-5657CF9FAC1Ea.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 2649 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Challenging Bradley Challenger

Post by pennymachines »

Have you looked at the detailed images in this thread? Maybe some clues there.
pedroofn19

Post by pedroofn19 »

I had the same problem, but I did manage to get it all back together. As far as I can remember they have to go in order. The long thin lever next to the chute you are putting back needs to be in the correct position, so the brass bit goes onto the cut out of the chute. Once you have done one the rest just go back the same way. I hope that makes sense. I will add a pic so you can see.
Attachments
IMG_8057a.jpg
IMG_8059a.jpg
bugdust

Challenging Bradley...Help required!

Post by bugdust »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Finally got around to restoring an old Bradley Challenger bought in bits some time ago and whilst, I'm pleased with the aesthetics, I have to confess that the mechanics remain a mystery to me.
As I understand it, the pennies that are released from the crank on the coin slot end up stacking in the columns until a column is full. Once full, a further crank on the coin slot lever will push the vertical rod (A) down, thus turning the horizontal bar (B) around which brings the "beak" of the brass bars attached along its length in contact with the cams located on the individual columns which, in turn pulls away the wire from the base of each column thus releasing the pennies contained therein.

InkedIMG_7445 (002)_LI.jpg

What I don't understand is this....
What happens (or is supposed to happen!) whereby only that column of coins is released? As it stands, every time a coin is released via the coin slot crank into the machine, the vertical rod would shift downward turning all the brass bars (as they are all fixed to it) in theory pushing all the cams out and thus releasing all the pennies in all the columns at the same time?!! (In practice, it doesn't because the tension against all the cams is just too great!)
Grateful for any help!
geordy55

Bradley Challenger

Post by geordy55 »

Post moved & merged- Site Admin.

Hi everyone.
I am now in possession of a lovely old oak cased Bradley Challenger. I’ve dismantled the chutes (possibly a mistake but hey ho) and now trying to figure out the best way to align the pivot shaft with each chute.

Does anyone have any hints that may help ?

Also are the pins that release the coins supposed to be identical or are they specific to each coin chute ?

Your help is appreciated

Dave.
Attachments
9090775E-25E9-4C32-8B46-679765CACAEEa.jpg
A0FDC978-CCB2-455E-8FD0-91FA7EABFB5Da.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I've merged your post with some previous similar queries which might shed some light. Here's a picture of a mech on my bench (this one has a central lose column). The pins, I believe, should be identical.
Attachments
challenger-mech.jpg
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Thanks for your help. I don’t suppose you could take a photo of the lever in its lowest position showing the connection with the cams?
Thanks
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Showing payout linkage in handle-down position. Any help?
Attachments
From left side
From left side
From below
From below
From above
From above
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

I’m puzzled by this picture as I thought that the arm B would be above arm A thus making it swivel when the arm is pushed down,
Attachments
3DCD7034-5881-4295-98D7-76D234D1F646.jpeg
3DCD7034-5881-4295-98D7-76D234D1F646.jpeg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 708 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

B remains below A until there is a penny resting in the compartment at the rear of the coin channel. This penny (which enters the compartment from a filled channel) engages with the pivoted tip of an arm, just out of sight in the image below, lifting B above A.

lifter-plate.jpg
lifter-plate.jpg (14.33 KiB) Viewed 680 times

Video showing how a penny in the compartment at the rear of the coin channel engages the shaft connected to the release pin which holds the coin stack.
First part - pulling handle when no payout due.
Second part - pulling handle with penny resting in channel ready for payout:

Leslie Clifford Bradley wrote:As a disc enters a rear compartment it falls into the side slot and rests against an arm on the corresponding vertical, rotatable rod. If now the hand lever of the coin insertion mechanism is depressed and the vertical push rod thereby operated, its associated push rod is operated and the rock shaft at the back is rocked. The appropriate arm on this rock shaft sweeps down the slot in the compartment, engages the top of the disc and by pressing it downwardly displaces the arm on the vertical rotatable rod turning the latter against its spring. This movement brings the second, chamfered arm on the vertical rod into the path of a downwardly curved horn on the arm of the cross rock shaft so that the latter bears against the chamfered arm, moves it and gives a further rotary movement to the vertical rod. This enables the rod to release the disc from the rear compartment by moving the arm against which the disc bears, and by a further movement enables it to withdraw the wire plunger from the bottom of the appropriate guide to deliver the discs therein to the successful player.
Patent GB377316
geordy55

Post by geordy55 »

Pennymachines, that is an excellent explanation. I didn’t realise how the “winning” column was chosen until now. Looking forward to getting back on the job and getting it sorted again. Thanks