Has anyone got a Mutoscope Drivemobile?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
brigham

Re: Has anyone got a Mutoscope Drivemobile?

Post by brigham »

Playing the Brighton Run made an indelible impression on me. It remains my idea of how a driving game OUGHT to be.
Strangely, I can't remember where I used to play it.
Good to know more of its history.
pinballsurgery

Post by pinballsurgery »

I'm restoring one of these at the moment, I suspect the one mentioned at the start of the article. I can answer the colour question now I have started to disassemble the machine. the main body was red with a white speckle.

20210511_144119924_iOSa.jpg

Unfortunately although I have a Mutoscope schematic it is nothing like the innards of this machine. If anyone knows what this unit was actually called or did I would be grateful.

20210511_144106845_iOSa.jpg

It's turned to rust inside but by my best guess is that I think it was some sort of step, pulse or ratchet relay. There appears to have been a single switch contact that was closed by a wheel with six 'fingers' which in turn was moved by a coil pulling a cog attached to that wheel. So when power was applied it looks like there would have been a break/make which was held until power was released - unfortunately this raises the question of why a standard ratchet relay was not used so maybe it generated pulses. Whatever way I'm going to have to fabricate a replacement.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It might be better to work to the original diagram, unless a better example of the conversion turns up, to copy.
I suppose the GB version is ALSO a collectors' item by now!
pinballsurgery

Post by pinballsurgery »

I have the original schematics but they do not marry up with this machine. There are several major changes, it looks like the machine's wiring is original so I will have to make a new wiring diagram based on what I have to get to the bottom of this. One thing that would be helpful is the schematic has a bell, this machine does not but it does have two spare wires going into a terminal block. My guess would be that the bell has been removed but if anyone does have a UK 'Mills' based driving machine it would be good to know if it does own a bell.
brigham

Post by brigham »

It has a harsh buzzer, rather than a bell. It buzzes in time with a flashing light, on whichever side of the road you've run off.