Chipperfields restored and a question

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Chipperfields restored and a question

Post by geofflove »

Some of you may remember I was fortunate enough to bag a haul of allwins last year. Albeit in a pretty dire state of disrepair, woodworm and rot. Anyway after a few months distracted by restoring a few pinball machines I finally got motivated to work on another one of the alwins.

This wonders chipperfields coconut dong wasn’t as bad as some of the others. Highlights to getting it working included stripping the playfield, replacing the clear acetate cover over the backflash, liberal use of the blowtorch and penetrating oil to get the flick lever and win knob off! A happy hour on the bench buffer and wire wheel, some happy sanding and waxing and making a new cash door. I also treated the small amount of woodworm in the case. This wasn’t too bad and looked long since departed but I always like to splash some treatment in as insurance. I had removed about 7 locks from the machines earlier in the year to get the re keyed so used 2 of these in this machine.

Happy with how it turned out considering how it looked last week! I just need to get some ply to make a new back for it now and paint the red bits in on the coin entry and win knob.

Now the question. It had a British Automatic co ltd label attached to the playfield. (Pictured) However it covered the ‘Dong’ word. I can’t decide whether to replace or not. I usually would as it’s part of the history but it did detract from the art work IMHO. Thoughts?
Attachments
E5447920-2337-45BD-ACBD-575EFA3B317Ea.jpg
AD97E265-F74F-4DA5-AEAD-2B83BDEA6F4Aa.jpg
466724D2-1AC5-43D4-82E6-9FC402929F1Aa.jpg
B409702B-76F7-40BB-9F8C-7F2545D76782a.jpg
B42811C5-21AF-4B08-9311-46DA32B5113Da.jpg
treefrog

Re: Chipperfields restored and a question

Post by treefrog »

Looks lovely... Was trying to work out what 'ding' meant, then saw the 🔔

What about putting the badge somewhere else, like bottom left, as it is a nice and part of the history?
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Yes - wondered about that. But the other bit to refit is the instruction flash which goes there - I forgot to mention that!!
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Good work again Geoff looks a very nice machine, I would certainly keep the label, as TF says its part of the history, if it were mine I would fix it on the inside so as not to spoil the look of the playfield
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

That’s a good idea. I’ll do that. Thanks.
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

Looks great. As others have said, keep the label, but put it somewhere less obtrusive.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

Personally I'd put it on the front of the cabinet so all can see it. But you pays your money ...