Jamieson Over the Top coin pusher identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
dicken13

Jamieson Over the Top coin pusher identified

Post by dicken13 »

Hi!
I have the opportunity to buy an "Over the top" coin pusher. As it's located a couple of hours away, I need to buy the pusher unseen, if I'd buy it all, so any information is of great help.
The only thing I know is that it's made in the UK and it's called "Over the top". I've searched everywhere for it but haven't found a thing. It looks very similar to a "Tip the skittle", but that might just be the way they built the machines back in the day.
Thanks in advance!
Attachments
20210313_132315a.jpg
20210314_152012a.jpg
20210314_152027a.jpg
20210314_152611a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Any info about an "Over the Top" coin pusher?

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Dicken and :WELCOME:
I've not seen that one before, but it's evidently by Jamieson Automatics and very similar to their Rocka Penny pusher, described in the Arena. It exploits the mirror illusion of Tip the Skittle, but has a motorized pusher in place of the skittles. Rocka Penny has pusher lanes, whereas Over the Top doesn't apparently. The footstep for little folk is a nice touch...
Attachments
RockaPenny.jpg
dicken13

Post by dicken13 »

Thanks a lot for the reply.
Then I guess I was on the right track with Jamieson at least. I guess I have to become a full member so that I can read that article :)
Are these machines prone to issues or are they usually working without problems? Is it possible to find spares if needed?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

They're about as simple as they come - no coin acceptors, no payout mechanisms. The fluorescent lighting may need some attention and the motor gear train might benefit from a clean and re-grease, but that's about it. Of course, being ply and laminate, they need dry storage. It's easier to make spares for these than find them...
dicken13

Re: Jamieson Over the Top coin pusher identified

Post by dicken13 »

That sounds kind of promising. From about what year is it made? And is it fun to play? I've just played modern versions and I like them a lot.
What would be a fair price if it's well functioning? (I guess it's hard to give an exact estimate as it seems to be pretty unique but an approximate price would be great).
Thanks!
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

I'm surprised after all that pondering whether to buy or not that someone else hasn't bought it from under you :o
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I always wondered how successful these Jamieson’s machines were to operate, as it is easy to walk past one and not give a second glance. The big thing of any arcade games is not just the game play, but the visual impact, which these definitely do not have, you would have a clue what they are unless getting close. Normal pushers are big draw with piles of shiny coins on the die of the draws !OMFG!
dicken13

Post by dicken13 »

moonriver wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 am I'm surprised after all that pondering whether to buy or not that someone else hasn't bought it from under you :o
I guess the asking prize, being located far from any major cities, it not being a pinball machine and it not being in the UK makes the market kind of small.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

moonriver wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 am I'm surprised after all that pondering whether to buy or not that someone else hasn't bought it from under you :o
The words of a hard-bitten collector. If you like it, you can't afford to prevaricate. On the other hand, you don't want to get carried away... >!!???!!<
treefrog wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am I always wondered how successful these Jamieson’s machines were to operate, as it is easy to walk past one and not give a second glance. The big thing of any arcade games is not just the game play, but the visual impact, which these definitely do not have, you would have a clue what they are unless getting close.
I'm sure that's true. Not much 'presence', but not much floor space either.
dicken13 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 pm From about what year is it made?
No exact dates available, but very late 1960s.
dicken13 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 pm And is it fun to play?
More fun than it looks, thanks to the mirror illusion.

The pusher adds something to the game (constant movement), but the pin-field severely detracts from the players' control of where the coins fall.
dicken13 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 11:48 pm What would be a fair price if it's well functioning?
Because it's so simple, I don't think the price would be much affected, whether functioning or not. In the unlikely event that the motor's burned out, there should be room for negotiation. It should be cheaper outside the UK than in. Any indication of how much they want for it?
dicken13

Post by dicken13 »

Around £300 excluding shipping.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

If it costs less than that to ship, I think you'd have no problem getting your cash back if you decided to sell.
dicken13

Post by dicken13 »

That's awesome. The shipping should be £100 tops, but I will try to get it included in the price if possible :).
Thanks for all your help - hopefully I will be a proud Jamieson-owner soon.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

treefrog wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:55 am I always wondered how successful these Jamieson’s machines were to operate, as it is easy to walk past one and not give a second glance. The big thing of any arcade games is not just the game play, but the visual impact, which these definitely do not have, you would have a clue what they are unless getting close. Normal pushers are big draw with piles of shiny coins on the die of the draws !OMFG!
A problem to operate these, unless bolted down on brackets, as they don't have a lock out, so they get kicked a lot to knock the coins off.
Having said that, they're very popular and take good money. Where you'll get a punter playing one or two coins into the same allwin and then stop, they will put several into these and then keep going. Hard to find in good condition and on old penny.
dicken13

Post by dicken13 »

OK, so I booked it. It will arrive in mid-April. Really looking forward to it.