Beromat bremse one arm bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
la1606ura

Beromat bremse one arm bandit

Post by la1606ura »

Hi, we have a Beromat bremse one arm bandit machine and we are looking for information, diagrams, anything really that could help with the restoration process. Also, I'm in need of parts. The machine is in working order. The original back we have is in bad condition, so looking for an original back, and there is a spring missing, and possibly some other bits from the arm mechanism. It's not holding the coin into place. When we drop a coin into the machine, it falls straight through into the coin box. Everything else is in working order.
Attachments
IMG_20210327_125920a.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Beromat bremse one arm bandit

Post by badpenny »

Hi and welcome to the forum.
Many of us collect these machines and there are limited spares about. Most of us at some point or another buy one as a breaker.
It's possible the coin gate only needs a spring. It's unusual that the whole coin stop would be missing. Post a photo of that part and someone will soon tell you if it looks wrong.
Your mention of needing an original back is confusing. Do you mean the rear portion of the case, or just the back panel? A rear half of the case I'd think is next to impossible to find, and most of us have replaced just the ply back panel.

I'd just like to point out there is a Market for Wanted and For Sale adverts (https://pennymachines.co.uk/market/advertise/) if you want to buy something you can place photos of what you need.

BP :cool:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: la1606ura!
Must say, that's a particularly nice Beromat, with the striking Art Deco castings and striped veneer.
'Bremse', by the way, is German for 'Brake' (or 'horsefly' :o ) - i.e. it refers to the button's function.
la1606ura

What is missing?

Post by la1606ura »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I posted earlier about our Beromat bremse bandit. I've attached a photo of the arm mechanism. Can anybody tell me what is missing please? I tried to attach a video but it won't allow me to upload the file. When you drop a penny into the machine, the mechanism isn't holding the coin, it's just falling straight through into the coin release tube.
Attachments
16170395412565416858395468142768.jpg
16170394140918543349896451336228.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Hi there,

It was me who pointed you here from Sphock. There is a spring needed between the two parts marked in red below. It is a short strong spring that holds the coin in place until operated.

Also what does your rear door look like, as it may help understand how bad it is.....?
Attachments
9705237E-68FE-4170-A258-56D4B1803D31.jpeg
9705237E-68FE-4170-A258-56D4B1803D31.jpeg (55.45 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
la1606ura

Post by la1606ura »

The back. It's damaged around the edges it's also rotted possibly damp from where it used to be stored.
Attachments
IMG-20210329-WA0006a.jpg
IMG-20210329-WA0005a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It's difficult to judge from pictures, but I think you have two options with that. Spares aren't available, and chances are a junker will have a worse back. So you can glue, fill and patch, strip off the peeling outer sheet and cut and glue a new piece to cover... or if you think it's too far gone, source some good quality birch ply and remake it.
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

My photo shows the spring the guys have mentioned. But isn't part of the arm missing too? It opens the spring to allow a coin to drop into the cash box when the handle is pulled and then closes it at the end of the cycle to allow another coin to lock the handle and operate the arm. I'm a bit hazy on this because my machine has been modified for British old pennies so the operation might be different, I suppose.

As for the back, I would definitely go for a new ply back. If you are going to wall mount it, it needs to be strong and well fixed. I was lucky with mine and it only needed a little refixing with more screws.
Attachments
Inside-and-backa.jpg
coin-acceptora.jpg
la1606ura

Post by la1606ura »

Thanks for that. I have seen pictures of the mechanism with the bar across but I've also seen them without it, so not sure if it's necessary. I'm guessing I'll find out if we attach a new spring and it still doesn't work aha. The machine we have belonged to my grandad. He had it converted to British pennies (1P's).
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

More than likely he had it converted from British 1d coins to 1p coins, as there were thousands of these on 1d in the UK due to the strange German laws that insisted they be broken up or exported after only three years of life. A pity to lose the 1d play, but in some ways, it's a blessing. The original conversions to 1d meant drilling out the coin slides which, considering the whole machine is made of very poor metal, made them very weak. Slides drilled for 1p would be much stronger.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It says 3D on the front and does not have the butchered coin slot for penny......
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

la1606ura wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 10:16 pmI have seen pictures of the mechanism with the bar across but I've also seen them without it, so not sure if it's necessary.
As far as I can see, it's the only thing that can open and close the spring in response to the cam moving. Yes, please let us know how you get on.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The spring allows enough tension to retain coin and as the coin selector arm at the back will pull the coin past the spring retainer. Can't remember what the lever is for, but it basically allows the coin to pass straight through the coin acceptor into the cash box and probably is activated when the machine is half cocked or jammed. As such, not needed.
la1606ura

Post by la1606ura »

Thank you for all your help. I'm aware the machine took the old three penny before grandad had it converted to the penny we use today. We've got another spring for it now just waiting for it to arrive. Hopefully it'll be back to its original self in no time. Also needs the paint re doing In the original colour scheme.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The bar you have marked as missing doesn't appear on all variations.
It's connected at right angles to the coin holder in the gate.
When the coin is pulled past the coin holder it also raises the "missing" end of the lever. The action of the mechanism entering its cycle turns an eccentric cam which holds that lever in the up position.
Consequently the coin holder in the gate is also held open until the cycle completes and the cam allows the lever to close.

Why would you want the coin gate open during the cycle?
Because you don't want the player to insert a second coin while the reels are spinning and effectively allowing them to control the reels through the handle. These Germans thought of everything.

What concerns me most in OP's photos is his first one. I can not see the hinged hook that swings forward as you pull the handle. The one that comes in from behind the coin and hooks over it in order to pull it down through the gate.
I'd have expected to see it sitting in its groove behind the coin gate.

BP !PUZZLED!
tallstory

Post by tallstory »

badpenny wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 3:28 pmWhat concerns me most in OP's photos is his first one. I can not see the hinged hook that swings forward as you pull the handle.
Isn't it hidden by the rusty vertical bit of metal? I can see the top of the assembly above it. In mine that rusty bit (except mine isn't rusty) keeps the coin out of the acceptor until the cycle is complete so no Jiggery-pokery with the handle is possible.
Strange isn't it that various bits and pieces remain that have no function, like the cam in this machine. They are probably there to confuse us poor amateurs. !PUZZLED!