Yale locks for Super Challenger

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
geofflove

Yale locks for Super Challenger

Post by geofflove »

I’ve just acquired a Holt Super Challenger.

There are no keys for the locks and they may have been damaged anyway so a re key is probably unlikely. Does anyone know of a modern source for similar replacements or anyone got any old ones?
Attachments
EC8E6F02-36BD-4EC2-92F5-7D3F268A99B1a.jpg
EC8E6F02-36BD-4EC2-92F5-7D3F268A99B1a.jpg (28.26 KiB) Viewed 161 times
treefrog

Re: Yale locks for super challenger

Post by treefrog »

These Yale square locks are still made as discussed on the Bryans locks thread and cost between £10 and £15 each depending on locksmiths.......I bought 10 at £10 each a couple of years ago
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Thanks for that. I must admit I started with the assumption they wouldn’t be available and went from there... how wrong was I?!

A bit of searching suggests they look like Yale lock s236. Prices seem to vary from £9 to £25! I need to get the machine open to confirm the barrel is the same etc but looks like a result. Thanks!

A couple more questions.....
My machine needs a bit of a general tidy, removing some scratches in the wood and but appears to be working ok. Looking at pics the original cash door had the same Formica surface as the main case front. However, mine looks like it’s been replaced at some point and is a cheap, plain piece of wood. Not making the mistake of assumption above does anyone know if this stuff is still available in that pattern. Go on, amaze me! Assuming not and someone doesn’t have an old cash door lying around they want to sell I’m thinking the alternative is to make a nicer wood replacement. The case looks like it might be beech. Is that correct?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

You would be lucky, very very lucky to find the same Formica. I oddly like old '60s Formica on machines and stands, but impossible to get the same today with the classic patterns as well as same thickness and quality.

Beech comes to mind on these. I know they are bloody heavy. !OMFG!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Yale locks for Super Challenger

Post by pennymachines »

Bradley Challengers are heavy. Super Challengers are on a par with similar sized allwins.
1960s kitchen furniture is a potential source of period Formica, but matching a specific pattern would be a challenge. You can get bespoke laminates made to any pattern, but surely not a cost-effective option.
Attachments
table.jpg
huxley

Re: Yale locks for Super Challenger

Post by huxley »

I have just brought a Challenger and doing a bit of a referb on it too and watching.