ID which brand/model is this allwin ?

Post by bamsefar1 »

Anyone familiar with this model?
Attachments
20210427_131942a.jpg
20210427_131908a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: ID which brand/model is this allwin ?

Post by pennymachines »

Judging by the radio silence, you have us stumped with this one bamsefar1.
It has some things in common with a BMco allwin, but not much, and it has some things in common with a Saxony allwin. I can't even decide if it's German or British, but leaning towards British, partly because of the scrolled gallery backplate and partly because there were many more makers of allwins in the UK.

The most unusual feature is the hammer box with its concave top. Don't think I've seen that before. It's also odd that you can see the edges of the hinge leaves. Normally only the knuckles are visible.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Interesting, wonder what the little turn knob is on the front, lower right, seems to be connected to a lever arm in the mech. I'm wondering whether this could be a multi-ball machine - 3 balls for a 1d ? hence the little window under the gallery and this turn knob releases the 'held' balls out through the hole at the top of the curved hammer box.
Just a thought
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, it's a reserve ball allwin and the little knob feeds the individual balls to the striker. J&M allwins did this automatically, but I've seen both German and British allwins with manual ball feed.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Ah, that makes sense, I see that the 'lost' cups are in fact the 'reserve' cups
bamsefar1

Post by bamsefar1 »

Thanks for the input so far.
It most certainly is a UK model; as I got it shipped (ebay-auction) quite a few years ago from the UK. It was listed as a 1920s allwin. So this is a rare bird in Norway where I live.

Gameplay:
1d (penny) inserted; releases one ball.
The ball is catapulted into the playfield; and drops into either a "win" or "lost" slot.
Falling into "lost" is "game over".
Falling into "win"; releases 3 balls+ one coin.

As some of you suspected; the "wheel" - knob on the right; releases one ball at a time into the playfield/catapult-area.

I made a brief video:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

bamsefar1 wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 5:02 pm It most certainly is a UK model; as I got it shipped (ebay-auction) quite a few years ago from the UK.
I think it is British, but because you bought it from the UK doesn't mean it was made here. A high proportion of allwins in our arcades, particularly pre-war, came from Germany, and some from France.
bamsefar1

Post by bamsefar1 »

Sorry for being so assertive; as I can only assume and guess. I was under belief these kind of allwins were made in the UK.
I know some about German classic "pennymachines"; as the flick-a-coin /drop-case-kind of wall machines were made early in Germany. Perhaps originated there.
But what about the period between the world wars.... Was there much commerce between the UK and Germany with these kind of objects? :-)
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

bamsefar1 wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 3:35 pm But what about the period between the world wars.... Was there much commerce between the UK and Germany with these kind of objects?
There was. Most allwins were imported into Britain from Germany during the interwar period. See Seven mysteries of the Saxony allwin
bamsefar1

Post by bamsefar1 »

Eye-opener for me this.
Thanks for the enlightment! :-)
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

It may or may not be relevant in this case, but before WW1 the UK imported an amazing amount of stuff from Germany, especially pottery. This had always been stamped "Made in Germany". After WW1 there was a huge backlash from the UK public, who refused to buy German products, and German makers tried to get around this by stamping the product "Made in Saxony". To a lesser degree they also tried "Made in Austria" and "Made in Czechoslovakia", although that was stretching a point... until 1939. :lol: