Mutoscope - what adjustments are possible?

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
pinballtoys

Mutoscope - what adjustments are possible?

Post by pinballtoys »

Hello
Looking at one of these for a friend. It basically works okay, but the image viewed is restricted by the seen reel!
The photos should help illustrate the problem.
I don't want to make it worse, but looking at the shoe? The screw behind would advance or retard. Is that the adjustment that needs to be made?
Regards Bob
Attachments
2021-04-26-14.15.34a.jpg
2021-04-26-14.15.41a.jpg
livinginthepast

Re: Mutoscope - what adjustments are possible?

Post by livinginthepast »

This is what mine looks like. You look to have a modern reproduction reel with straight cards. The original reels had curved cards. There is an article somewhere (maybe on this site* explaining all this). You may have to search on google.

*Re: Reproduction Mutoscope reels
Attachments
20210428_172158.jpg
pinballtoys

Post by pinballtoys »

Good observation on your part. Yes, it is a reproduction reel!
So that potentially explains the viewing problem, just need to work out a way to overcome that?
Many thanks for your reply
Bob
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

pinballtoys wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:59 am just need to work out a way to overcome that?
Good luck, you'll be the first person to ever figure that out! The repro reels being sold like yours are faulty goods and I can't see how that guy has stayed in business selling the damned things? I guess his customers just don't know what a proper reel should be like?? The original reels are printed from negatives on to film stock and after mounting to a reel are steamed to create the curvature, partly to help give snap to the the flipping action. I once went to great trouble to restore a Felix reel in otherwise great cond but had lost nearly all the curve. Thankfully I was given inside info about the process but even still I won't be doing it again and finally threw away my custom made equipment after storing for 20 years.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It sounds like the best option may be to track down another reel, or purchase a new one from Tom Reverand, although your friend may not be pleased to hear this.