Single player "penny in the circle" machine

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
Potless

Single player "penny in the circle" machine

Post by Potless »

This is quite an obscure machine that I only saw in one arcade at Great Yarmouth - it consisted of a white(?) playfield which had winning penny amounts in circles printed on it (it was probably made of glass), and the object was to get your penny to land entirely within the circle to win the named prize amount.

It was fun to play, as the pennies made a satifying "clink" as they hit the playfield, and unsuccessful pennies would be tipped off the playfield periodically.

I think I heard somewhere that the winning pennies were detected by means of optical sensors - maybe someone can confirm this?
treefrog

Re: Single player "penny in the circle" machine

Post by treefrog »

If you search site you will see a topic on a machine sounding similar by Moonriver called Silver Circles, no pictures though

Re: Electromatic Wheel-Em-In
Potless

Post by Potless »

Ah yes, that's the one I remember. Maybe one day someone will be able to find a photo of one - the forum members never cease to amaze with their resourcefulness!

Many thanks for the information.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

The 'gruesome twosome' couple from Bedworth that sold the bulk of their collection to the Scarborough Fairground Collection had one in the odds and ends they had left and sold on eBay. Not working, it sold for around £100 I think.

I've seen versions of this machine on old large 10p (2 shilling coin) play, that had an unusual spellings on the top glass with Super Sircles and Silver Sircles, with an S instead of a C, goodness knows why.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

It would be good to see a picture of this elusive machine. The only one I've played was at Joe Fletcher's Birmingham arcade - a coin-operated version of the old carnival Roll-a-Coin game. Bryans Pot the Copper is an all mechanical take on the same idea, with holes in the playfield as targets instead of the winning circles.