Fitting a light inside Mills hi-top

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
itsnot

Fitting a light inside Mills hi-top

Post by itsnot »

Hello all,
l am thinking about fitting a light inside a Mills hi-top but wondered if any members had done this or had seen a machine with this feature carried. The machine doesn't have the jackpot mechanism, it has a token reward tube/slider assembly which sits behind the window, which is blanked with a perspex sheet, token reward card and a piece of aluminium. Any information/advice accepted.

Thanks in advance.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Fitting a light inside Mills hi-top

Post by badpenny »

I don't recall having ever seen a Mills Hi-top with lights.
Maybe a Lucky Devil conversion or similar, but they of course were 3rd party conversions.

Any period lighting sets would of course be 240v AC input to a step down transformer, but still have zapping capacity, therefore care must be taken. Ensure you Earth to the chassis with a suitable fuse in the plug.
Although I personally don't like LED lights, as you are doing a non-contemporary conversion, they could be a good substitute for you. That is from a safety/cost/ease point. Just make sure you wire them up the right way.
If you're doing this mostly from an aesthetics point of view, I'd recommend a Sega Light 'em Up/Mad Money instead of a Hi-Top. They were made for lights and the top box adds to the effect.
itsnot

Post by itsnot »

l decided to try out a single small flat panel LED, placed it in three different places inside the machine to see the effect. At the bottom of the jackpot window, (pic 3) facing up, at the top of the jackpot window, (pic 2) facing towards the back of the machine and on the left of the jackpot window, (pic 1), facing across the machine. The LED panel is a 12volt 10 watt warm white but it is still very bright and uses a small transformer. The effect is ok but perhaps the light flooding the payout area needs to be trimmed.
The machine has an extra payout tube for tokens hence the sign in the jackpot window. Thumbs up or down?.
Attachments
20210712_211545.jpg
20210712_210106.jpg
20210712_204654.jpg
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The only hi tops I have had have been the Lucky Devil type awards, so not in the reel window. I recall a hi top that had backlighting on the Bell-O-Matic type plastic awards. If you like it keep it...... !!THUMBSX2!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

treefrog wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 11:09 pm The only hi tops I have had have been the Lucky Devil type awards, so not in the reel window. I recall a hi top that had backlighting on the Bell-O-Matic type plastic awards. If you like it keep it...... !!THUMBSX2!!
TF.... I think you mean the only hi tops you have had with lights. As both Mick Harris and I had one each from you four or so years back and you had the Salesman's Example Sega Hi-top from me thirteen or so years ago.