Edwin Hall 'Silver' ride identified

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
fatr1er

Edwin Hall 'Silver' ride identified

Post by fatr1er »

received_816371462350119a.jpg

😩
Hi is anybody able to determine the maker and age of this coin ride please?
Regards liam
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Barn find

Post by pennymachines »

:WELCOME: Liam!

Called 'Silver' and made by Edwin Hall circa 1966. Hall was a major British maker of kiddie rides throughout the '50s and '60s.

How do I know? Thanks to the online kiddie ride enthusiast, skylark24, who has posted here previously. Skylark's comments on a similar ride filmed at Hall's Amusements, Chapel St. Leonards on June 21st 2019:
skylark22 wrote: ""Silver" was one of the original three models that Edwin Hall & Co. released when they first started producing kiddie rides in 1953. The horse was made of wood and had "real" hair but the design was quickly modified to include a molded mane (presumably the mane was too easily pulled out/otherwise damaged). Even the molded mane underwent several changes over the years with the forelock originally raised and "windswept" and later more tidily curled, for example. Later models were made of aluminium and, after that, fibreglass. The horses continued to be manufactured with real tails until approximately 1966 when the design was updated again to have a molded tail. Earlier models also came with real leather tack, whereas the simplified later ones just had moulded, painted fibreglass saddles, bridles and harnesses.

Originally, the ride was sold on an ornately painted high semi-circular or half- decagon base, complete with a step up to it, and worked at two speeds - the horse would start out at a "trot" but would "gallop" when the leather reins were pulled, activating a mechanism connected to the bit in his mouth. I'm not sure how long this feature lasted. Later models just had a metal bar for reins (to go with their moulded saddle and bridle) so would have just worked at the one 'rocking' pace.

Although usually known as "Silver" (with this name painted on the base), he seems to be called "The Cowboy Horse" or simply "Horse" in most advertising material of the time. A Pathé news clip from 1956 also shows one of these horses being painted light brown so it's possible they could be personalised at the buyer's request.

Record playing equipment was installed as an option at first, but was soon included inside the bases by default. I don't know what tune was played though. All of the horses were well and truly mute by the time I rode them.

It seems that R.G. Mitchell, who bought Edwin Hall & Co. in 1976, sold some of these horses in the late 1970s as a few have been spotted with RGM footplates or even on the RGM bases which were made for the much smaller "Rocky" ride. Whether these were manufactured by the R. G. Mitchell company, or they were just using up old Edwin Hall stock remains a mystery."

I got quite tearful when I found this beauty hiding inside Hall's Amusements (despite the name, I don't think there's a connection between manufacturer and owner!) I believe this model dates from circa. 1966. What's special about him is that, tatty as he is, he still has his ORIGINAL PAINTWORK. Fifty years later, and I finally get to see what an Edwin Hall ride originally looked like with my own eyes. He even still has "6d a ride" written on the back of his base (although the 6d has been messily removed when the price was updated, it's still visible).

He's obviously been refurbished at some point (probably when the price was changed to 30p) and now plays the William Tell Overture (Lone Ranger theme tune) along with Jolly Roger announcements.

The speaker looks to be in the correct place for an original Edwin Hall one so I imagine this horse originally did play music. I wonder if this gives us a clue as to the original tune he played?
fatr1er

Post by fatr1er »

Thank you for your help.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Nice to see such a classic kiddie ride. Out of interest, is this one made of wood, aluminium or fibreglass?
fatr1er

Re: Edwin Hall 'Silver' ride identified

Post by fatr1er »

Hi, it's fiberglass.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I guess fibreglass was the favoured material by the early '60s, for its all-weather durability and relative cheapness. Being lighter than wood or metal, it also reduces wear on the mechanism.

Another one:

skylark22 wrote:I believe this particular model dates from the early-mid 1960s. He has obviously been repainted and refurbished with a Stamar timer in more recent times and now plays "Bonanza" when in motion.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And one we looked at earlier...

arrgee

Post by arrgee »

The pic of the Bryan's mech with a zebra on it has disappeared? !PUZZLED!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Sorry- split and moved here.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks mr pm - thought I was entering the realm of absentmindedly forgetfulness, (I have forgotten what the technical phrase is !!) :lol: