Moneytree One Armed Bandit

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
bedbug1

Greaves Amusements Money Tree (Bally conversion)

Post by bedbug1 »

Hi
This is my first post on the forum. I have recently acquired a Greaves Money Tree and wondered if anyone had any information on this machine, as I can't find a lot of information on the internet.
Attachments
money-tree1.jpg
jonesthegarage

Re: Greaves Amusements Money Tree (Bally conversion)

Post by jonesthegarage »

Welcome Bedbug, an American friend of mine used the expression "crazier than a bedbug", I hope it's not you.

Anyway, don't be thrown by the Greaves Amusements name, they will just be the suppliers, operator, etc; your machine is actually manufactured by Bally and is just one of myriad variations of the same machine. More knowledgeable chaps than me will be along at some point to tell you more no doubt.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Hi and welcome. As JG said, this is a Bally machine - it's one of their "Money Honey" range which marked the beginning of the end of the mechanical slot machine. These came along in the '70s. The early ones have payout slides; the later have a hopper payout system. These are what we call electro-mechanical and were the first stage moving to all electric slots. Let us know if it's hopper or slides. Is it working correctly?
bedbug1

Post by bedbug1 »

Hi thank you both for your replies. Yes, it all works and pays out correctly. It's the payout slide version. Were the Money Tree conversions of Ballys mass produced or were they made in limited numbers?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

The supplier would have done this particular conversion I think (just glass work and reel strips usually). It's probably the standard payout selection. I don't know if yours came to you restored or not. If not, it's worth cleaning inside the glasses and replacing the tubes to make it look great. Sometimes there is a rotating diffuser inside the door/belly glass to make the light flicker. These often jam with dirt and need cleaning. They are not common but worth a check.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Almost without exception, these conversions started life as a Sir Prize or Jolly Joker. I'd have to see the door hinges to be sure but the plastic panel across the front is a dead giveaway - it conceals the holes for the Hold buttons.

The hopper has been taken out and replaced with two slides on the inside of the door, one for the small pay and one for the large. These are now wired through a make-then-break contact on the right hand side of the mechanism that operates at end of game and routes a pulse through the payout contacts to one or other of the solenoids.
riche100

Post by riche100 »

P1120280.JPG

Ballymagic :)
bedbug1

Post by bedbug1 »

Hi,
I've just had a better look at the Bally and when the top glass is in a certain position you can see where it used to say 'hold' on the glass just above where the buttons would have been. I have also undone the green plastic trim and there are holes behind it where the buttons would have been, so you are right that it is a revamped older machine. I am having trouble at the moment - it all works as it should for about 8 goes and then it won't work. The electromagnet on the side of the mech won't energise, but if I manually move the bit of metal the cog moves and all the contacts on the side move in to position and it all works. I just wondered if anyone had come across this problem before and is it an easy fix?
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

This may be of assistance to you.

bally hold circuit.jpg

Wire colors:
30 - yellow
70 - orange
63-2 - brown-yellow-blue
25-1 - blue-white-red
98-1 - gray-black-red
14-2 - red-green-blue
52 - white-blue
56 - white-brown
57 - white-orange
74 - orange-green

Not shown in this diagram, the normally open side of the coin switch goes to the coin relay, which pulls in and self latches. This closes the 5th contact down and allows power to the handle release solenoid only when the coin leaves the coin switch. It also cuts off power to the coin lockout solenoid. Reel mech contact C1 opens as the handle is pulled and drops out the coin relay. Since your machine has been extensively modified there's no knowing if this diagram still applies, but most likely it still does in part.
riche100

Bally (Greaves) Money Tree

Post by riche100 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hello there,
I have a Bally Money Tree, by Greave Amusements, and it's not working and I wondered if I could have a little help with it...

I can operate the reels manually outside the machine, as well as the machine's arm. However, once reels are in the machine, the arm can be pulled, but it doesn't engage with the reel deck and in turn make the reels spin.

Any pointers please?
riche100

Re: Bally Money Tree

Post by riche100 »

video of issue:

Pics of arm that needs to engage and spin reel deck?

Can anyone help please?
Attachments
P1090327.JPG
P1090326.JPG
P1090322.JPG
brigham

Post by brigham »

I have one at home. I can't remember offhand what actually winds the reel mech. on a Bally, but I'll try and get a look when I get in.
You say the mech. operates outside of the cabinet? Well, that sounds promising. It's just a 'missing link' somewhere.
My first thought was that you weren't getting the mech. into the cabinet properly, but on a Bally, that's virtually impossible.
I should know more by tomorrow.
riche100

Post by riche100 »

Thank you, if anyone else replies in the meantime it would be good too.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

The handle solenoid needs to pull down after you insert a coin. Check the solenoid operates when you insert a coin.

If the solenoid operates correctly then your problem lies within the handle mech. Tthese can become seized with hardened grease.
riche100

Post by riche100 »

The handle moves at the front of the machine. It's just the flat lever at the back of the machine, that pushes the reel deck and sets it spinning, isn't moving?
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Does the handle release solenoid operate when you insert a coin?
riche100

Post by riche100 »

Yes ....

but you can't pull the arm all the way down or it gets stuck, as the back paddle isn't moving the thing you push down on manually (when deck is out the machine) to send the reels spinning.
radiochrissie

Post by radiochrissie »

Then your problem almost certainly lies within the handle mech. You have to remove it and clean it.
riche100

Post by riche100 »

Thing is... I don't know how to and how do I know it's complete and nothing is missing or broke?
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

You won't know if there is anything missing or broke till you look inside. Remember, this was assembled in the first place so you must be able to dismantle it.

From what I can see it's bolted on to the side of the case. If so, remove the nuts and see if it comes off. You will then see if it's bunged up with old grease. It will need cleaning anyway, so taking it off can't hurt. Once it's off see if it works by hand and report back.