Cranes and Lighthouses

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
woody

Cranes and Lighthouses

Post by woody »

After much negotation, I have managed to spend enough money on my wife for her to allow me to buy Crane!

I am looking for some advice on which type of machine is a good one to buy. The two ones I have considered are Electric Travelling Crane and Novelty Merchantman Crane.
Are there any ones that are worth considering. I am looking to buy something that is in good condition - are there any pitfalls that i should be aware of and does anyone of any thoughts on a budget to buy one.

I even persuaded my wife to read (well flick through the pictures) of the Arcades and Slot Machines (Paul Braithwaite) book - she liked the lighthouse grip by Quested on page 88 - does anyone know how rare these are at all please. I once saw one of these at Mablethorpe - yes I can have one of these as well according to the executive committee (ie my good lady) but i figure I would need to sell the house to buy one...
Are there any other light house themed machines out there?

Enough of my ramblings - any help / advice appreciated

Yours in good books
Woody
grabber

Re: Cranes and Lighthouses

Post by grabber »

hello woddy
have you had a look at james rollers web site he lives in texas and his web site is full of information and pictures which will help you ,if you are buying a crane try to get one fully working as projects never get done ,make sure it has its motor and all working parts ,if you are looking for a fully working machine that you will put in your house i think you will be paying from £1250 to £2500 and maybe £3000 hope this helps .
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Woody, :D If you are looking for a crane to restore,have a look at the 1930s 'Novelty Merchantman' on ebay item No. 270250092546,it could be a good investment if you want to spend some time working on it. regards slotalot.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Hi Woody ........ I bought a 1930s 'Novelty Merchantman' about ten years ago in auction for £1250, kept it about 5 years and sold it in auction for £1200. Nice to own, looked good in the corner of the room at night with its light on, check for woodworm, if witing is original you'd best change that .................. so in otherwords no different to any other old electric machine, except it's bigger.

The only Lighthouse gripper I've ever seen was owned by Dave Hooper at The Elephant House Leamington Spa.

good luck