Tarting up a jubilee bandit - repainting

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Tarting up a jubilee bandit - repainting

Post by malcymal »

Guys, im contemplating going for a bit of a wreck of a jubilee on ebay which will need cosmetics to its outer casing. Can i just ask you guys about repainting. How would you go about repainting, would you?
1) remove paint to bare metal and take to a paintshop to do the business using closely sympathetic colours to being orginal. :?
2) do the above, but paint it however god damn you like? :mad:
3) Somebody suggested to me power coating, whats the deal with this, expensive, effective ? :idea:
4) would you just prime the metal yourself and have a blast with tins of aerosoles hoping for the best?? (crikey, some machines on ebay at the moment have been painted in hammerite (or hammer s**te as it used to be known) :sick:

I would ask bad penny via mail as usual but thought it time i contributed something to the forum as ive been a bit silent lately. The wife has given me the all clear to buy some more bandits pending me selling 2 pachislo machines upstairs.... cheers all , MALC ;)
myford

Re: Tarting up a jubilee bandit - repainting

Post by myford »

Hi Malc,
My own opinion is paint is only a very thin coating, a machine can be stripped & painted umpteen times with no harm done, If you want to paint it pink with blue spots so be it.
I have heard people on here ( I think!) talk scathingly about people painting bandits to suit the decor, but for me if I am to get half a chance of my latest aquisition being given house room then it has got to look acceptable to the other half, she won't take kindly to some scabby hammorite painted (yes some of them were from new) horror or even worse a god awful crackle finish that has gone matt & grubby machine sitting in ful view in the back room.
So I say paint how you like, any colour you like.
I shall now go & take cover ;)
Myford
JC

Re: Tarting up a jubilee bandit - repainting

Post by JC »

No need to take cover Myford - I for one totally agree, after all it's only a Jubilee! As you say, many bandits of this era had pretty nasty paint jobs from new. However, painting the oak case of a 1930s bandit is another matter, but then that probably goes without saying.

Jerry