Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
barryisland

Re: Handan-Ni Clown identified

Post by barryisland »

Hello
Thank you all for the most interesting information.
In answer to a few questions.
The token tube internal diameter is 17mm the new post 1971 decimal half pence is ideal as the tokens.
I attach pics of the token payout slot and the trigger lever.
Some internal brass parts are stamped with numbers as in the pics.
The machine is stamped internally on the wood 123 and externally 192. I know a little of woodwork and in my opinion everything matches, no alteration of hinges door or case or adjustment to fit.

The lever half way up the right side turns the visible half moon device that holds the ball and then releases it when the lever is turned. On payment the ball pops out of the hole and is held at the half moon until the lever is turned, then rolling down to the trigger.
The lever also resets the holding mechanism inside and I guess thats why it is there.......if that all makes sense?

If you win you get a token and a free ball.
As you can see the instruction is in English.
Thanks
BarryIsland
Attachments
RIMG0778a.jpg
RIMG0777a.jpg
RIMG0776a.jpg
RIMG0775a.jpg
RIMG0774a.jpg
RIMG0772a.jpg
RIMG0771a.jpg
RIMG0769a.jpg
RIMG0768a.jpg
blueboy

Re: Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Post by blueboy »

Hi,
I've just joined the forum to hopefully find some information on this Clown catcher that has been in the family for at least 70 years amusing generations of kids. (Hence the bandage on the mechanism applied by a grandmother to protect little hands) It still works fine. I've had a look through the posts and the clown image and "spandrels" appear different to those on the images I've seen posted. There are no stamps on the case at all. I've attached a couple of pics. Any thoughts from you good people would be much appreciated.
Attachments
20210401_193441a.jpg
20210403_115142a.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Post by pennymachines »

Hi blueboy and welcome.

What a cute game!
I think you've added yet another to our already substantial collection of Clowns that are difficult to match with a specific manufacturer.
The anomalous features are (as you say) the spandrels, but also the clown himself, who's slightly more stout and flat faced than usual. In other respects, it conforms closely to the Jentzsch & Meerz design. I believe there should be a decorative circular pressing around the ball exit.

My guess, for what it's worth, is that it may have emerged from William Thompson's Birmingham-based Coin Operating Company (also known as Phoenix Manufacturing Company), one of several British makers who produced versions in the 1920s. They employed the quite distinctive spandrels that your game sports. A spandrel isn't much to go on, because such items were often bought in from general suppliers, but I don't think I've seen this type on any but Thompson's games. See Re. New member with allwin

However, we already have three Clowns attributed to the Coin Operating Company and they don't have the flat-faced clown or the 'Thompson spandrels' - nor are they identical to each other!

The one from their catalogue is quite similar:

This one, less so. The popular game was churned out for decades, so maybe redesigns are to be expected.