Bajazzo Clown wall machines

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
arrgee

Re: Clown Catcher payout conversion

Post by arrgee »

Welcome Kevin, a very nice machine you have, I would agree with the erudite John T Peterson and I would also keep as is - the only addition I would add is a lock.
John T Peterson wrote:Your game is Bajazzo by Jentsch & Meerz of Leipzig...........I'm sure you suspected such to be the case
........and of course the mechanism John :lol:
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I agree with the above esteemed members' comments - leave as is and call it 'part of its history'. At least the conversion has been done a long while ago as it is on proper money, not the nasty decimal stuff. As argee says, a lock would be a good addition.
Kevin

Post by Kevin »

Many thanks to all who replied and especially to John, for his words of wisdom and for confirming what I had hoped re: the maker! It feels like chatting to old friends. I would tend to agree, as do you all, that it would be best to keep it just as it is, except for giving the case a tidy up and putting a lock on - thanks for the suggestion arrgee. Nice to know I'm thinking along the right lines - for once! It’s a lovely old machine and a pleasure to play.

Regards,
Kevin.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Question for the Gurus on this site: I have been given to understand that the early clown catchers had a light brown/gold back cloth and that this colour lasted up to around WW1, then the colour of the cloth was changed to green, then finally red (or was it red then finally green?). However, does anyone know whether this was in fact the case? . :!?!:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Problem is ageing of the green cloth sometimes turns brown. I have had and seen a few machines with a faded brown look, but when looking at hidden areas inside was green.
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've never seen any in original light brown/gold? But I agree with Tree that they turn up badly faded to a light brownish hue occasionally.
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

Now would be an appropriate time to repeat Gameswat's brilliant tip for Allwin cloth backflash replacement: Find an establishment that sells used pool tables and purchase from them an old felt top which they removed in one of their refurbishments. They are usually willing to sell such at a very reasonable price. !!IDEA!!

J Peterson
Awaiting refurbishment in America
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Gameswat wrote:I've never seen any in original light brown/gold
Interesting Gameswat, I have had a few of these machines in the past and all of them have had the light brown/gold baize back cloth and certainly looked to be the original cloth
Attachments
clown.jpg
clownPMWG.jpg
clown PMWG.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

I've always believed those were faded red and green, red being the most unfast colour there is. If those were original brown it would seem strange they'd use a background that so closely matched the wood?
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Definitely not a faded red or green as the hidden and unexposed edges are a slightly darker brown. It is always easy to apply today's values, concepts and ideas to yesterday's things. When these were first in production, life was so different and perhaps it was considered pleasant to look at, visually balanced and homogenous to have this backcloth colour. Maybe when the 'roaring 20s' came along and then the Art Deco era manifest itself, that is when the colour changed to the more vibrant red or green.