Sega Jackpot Mechanism

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
malcymal

Sega Jackpot Mechanism

Post by malcymal »

Dear fellow coin-op addicts, has anybody got a Sega bandit with a jackpot? I was wondering if anybody could get me a photo of the mechanism, how it is attached to the main internals and how the jackpot payout slide is attached? Secondly, if anybody is breaking an old Sega or has a jackpot mechanism spare, I'd like to take it off your hands. I am thinking of turning my Berkeley Light into a Berkeley Jackpot (cheap enough to play with £50 bargain in perfect working order, can I break it I wonder?) I have tried out the coin slides, and although 3 are only in use to pay 2, 5 or 10 coins, the other 3 slides when activated pay out the correct coinage for a jackpot machine of 12, 18 and 20 with slot in place to connect to pot.
Just a case of filling in the payout arms to correspond to the fruits to actuate the correct slides and make a new award glass through screen printer.
I've located an escalator, and a jackpot glass... so, thinking a spare jackpot mech free would be ideal. Thanks, Malc !SMILER!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: SEGA JACKPOT MECHANISM

Post by badpenny »

I'm just back off holiday and will take some photos and post them over the next couple of days, if nobody beats me to it.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thank you treacle... much obliged.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Treacle???? ..... are you Pete Beale?

You'll see from the second one that the Jackpot is screwed into the front plate top and bottom, one at the top, two at the bottom. I've yet to see a non jackpotted (?) machine that didn't have at least the blanks on the castings ready for tapping, so shouldn't be a problem. The blue trunking on the right is the coin return from the escalator (reference a thread on here a while back about why Segas and Mills didn't have coin return buttons) The one on the left is the gold award payout mech.

The very small lever protruding bottom left of the mess of springs and gubbins engages with the trip lever to dump the contents.
The one that's below that and looks like a distorted wellington boot is the one that is nudged by the ends of the slides on the next pull of the handle. This then resets the jackpot.

On this one you'll see that a frame bearing a pivoted lever is screwed onto the top of the slide mech using the two back frame post screws.(confused? ... you will be)
Note that the top slide also has a small dome screwed into it, when all the slides are released this slides under the shoe on the lever, which in turn rides up and the lever trips the one mentioned in red above.
DSCN0525.jpg

DSCN0522.jpg

If you haven't got any of the parts needed, try the Coventry auction, failing that Henry Powell otherwise keep your eyes on this site, ebay, or the American suppliers previously mentioned, everything is obtainable.

Incidently the jackpot shown is a reserve. This has a hidden from player top up of coins so that after dumping the jackpot is replenished so the machine doesn't lose its appeal. Consequently it is taller.
I have a couple of pre-war bandits that only have a straight forward drop it and it's empty pot. I seem to remember you're messing about with a 60's machine so you'd need the reserve to be authentic......... if that's important to you.

Have fun ............ Seth from Emmerdale
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Same as a Mills jackpot. I think my buddy picked up a couple of those recently at a junk sale. Let me know if you still need one.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Revisiting this post as I've actually asked questions about the Sega/Mills jackpot due to a machine I've just purchased. Can you tell me BP, how does the Gold (Special) Award get activated?? Malc
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Yes I can, but as I no longer own the Sega in the photos, it's easier to ask its new owner Treefrog if he could please photo the linkages for you. Over to you Tom........
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Okey dokey, treefrog where are thou?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Ok,
See below.
There is a trip arm goes through the center of the mechanism, this is attached to the reel stop lever and is triggered when the special award is hit, where there are three deep notches in the reel stop discs, you can see them when you move the the reels round. The machine I had from BP, also had an award trip meter as seen in the picture.
If yours is missing, they do come up occasionally, I will dig around as I may have spares or Henry Powell or Roger in Mundesley certainly will have one. If your machine has no notches, the mechanism is not an award type.
Attachments
CIMG1507.JPG
CIMG1508.JPG
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks for the info guys. I bought a Bonanza Star yesterday fairly blind. It's been converted to 1np but when I opened her up there was a full jackpot mech in place, with Special Award mech too. There is a full stack of coin slides bar the jackpot trip one (think this was the 20 coin plus jackpot when on 6d play). It's all there, keys, cash box, electrics are all clean and in place but no mains lead going in. The mechanism and inners are in pristine condition, no rust and shiny bright. On the inner of the back door there was a service check list still in place. It's going to be one of those plod through the year jobs doing it up, some rechroming to carry out.

Can I just ask about the paintwork. It's that slight crackled texture paint that Sega put on, it almost feels plasticy, vinyl to the feel. But the thick white stripe that runs from the top to bottom is smooth. What would be the best way to tackle the paintwork? Would you take the paint right off to bare metal, or fill in the patches, prime, sand etc then rub down whole front casing, prime and spray over?!?!? I ask about taking the paint right back as when I've done this before I've noticed how many imperfections there were on Sega castings which look like scratch fill is used originally before putting on primer coat?!?! Are there any similar paints out there in aerosol form that could recreate a similar effect?!?

The Bonanza Star badge that runs the width of machine, how do you manage to paint that up but then leave the letters polished metal? I'm trying to figure out how people do that.
Anyway, quite a nice find I think. I'm sure I will curse and swear fitting the bits in and tarting it up.

How do I get hold of Roger by the way, can anybody send me a phone number?

Once again, thanks guys.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I believe there is already a thread on wrinkle paint (you can buy on ebay in red or black), which I have dabbled with with poor results, now is the time to do it as you need high temp for it to cure properly. It will hide imperfections though and does not need a lot of preparation. Also a useful tip was offered the other day by PM around painting over an area where you have writing, by covering the raised writing area with Vaseline, which after the paint has cured will allow easy removal.

Odd that only the 20 coin payout finger has been chopped, as normally they chop anything over 10 coins.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

OK, I will check out that post on paint. The payout fingers have been chopped down, the coin slides are still there. Exactly the same as my Berkeley machine, change the fingers and you get the original payouts back. Anybody got Rogers number?!?!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I will pm you
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Thanks Tree-Frog for the info and number. When i got home i took the back off the machine and looked for the parts regarding the special award you said. Indeed the additional arm on the reel stop was there and at front of machine the push end to the special award mech is all there. I actuated the reels with mech in place, stopped the clock and lined up the deep notches. When i looked at front of machines there were 3 stars lined up, one on the lemon, cant remember the middle and third reel bar...so all good on that front. Cant test as i havent got any special award tokens, anybody know of a close match on size to this token, 50p coin maybe? I cant get over how damn clean this machine is inside, it really is prime condition, crud on the outside. I noticed the 1NP jamming a bit in the escalator so i cleared the pennies, one was bent so i guess it will work ok. I then had a pot full of sixpences to hand and put through 20 without one jam. So i think going to put it back to 6d. I should imagine my coin slides are 1NP conversion

I will ring roger and ask for a set of 6d slides, jackpot trip frame, jackpot slide and post and the boot shape piece that pushes the jackpot back in. Ive got a berkeley which i modded with higher payout fingers in and an award card to match, ( i could put this back to the 10 coin payout throughout with award card and use these parts in the sega). Dont know yet, but all is good so far. Just the question of the paint job; does anybody know where i could send the front casing and hood off to for a professional job; does Powells do this? Will i be able to do it myself, not sure!?!?!??