Little Whirl-Wind

Somebody knows... Maybe you?
fredslilja

Little Whirl-Wind

Post by fredslilja »

Here is a machine I bought a year ago. Now I am in the middle of restoring it. I bought it trough ebay and it comes from Florida. I was told it is from the early 30:s and was made by Peo Manufacturing Co.
If someone knows anything else about this machine, please let us know.

When I bought it there was no lock. Maybe someone could help me with that?

fredslilja
Attachments
Whirl-wind.jpg
rigg

Re: Little Whirl-Wind

Post by rigg »

hi there fredlilja. i bought a few of these replicas called 'whizballs' that look very similar to yours. i have included the short history that accompanied my purchase. I also bought a 'baseball' model that seems to partner these. These replicas are prone to fine-tuning needs/ hope yours runs smoother!! so her it goes. "This coin-op fun game is one of the all time classic penny skill games! Commonly used in a Pool Hall, Saloon, Ma & Pa General Store, Barber Shop, etc. in the 30’s, 40’s and 50’s. First made in the early 1930’s by Pace Manufacturing Company. It is one of the most fun counter top skill games ever made! It’s only 9 inches wide and 17 inches tall to the top of the marquis, it didn’t take much valuable counter space, and as a trade stimulator, its play appeal made it profitable to operate. Patrons would line up to play this machine, each trying to top the high score! Some merchants would offer a candy bar or other prize for a high score. It also has a feature that allows it to be wall mounted with 1 screw!

It works like this; The player inserts a penny into the slot, turns the crank on the side of the machine, and 5 steel balls drop into the playfield shooting trough. One at a time, the player “snaps” the thumb operated shooting handle, and shoots one of the steel balls whirling up into the spiral playfield. Centrifugal force speeds the ball up as it goes around the playfield! It’s easy to shoot it hard and get the center score hole, so that hole is an “Out”. The hardest hole to hit is the next one from the center which is 50 points. The other score holes are 40, 30, 20 and 10 points. When the ball enters one of the scoring holes, it is sorted into a score tally column. After the player shoots all 5 balls, he tallies his score in the score columns. You got a lot of fun for a penny!"
Attachments
whizball pic1-1-1-1.jpg
fredslilja

Post by fredslilja »

Hi there rigg!
Thanks for your answer :D .
Mine runs quite smooth.
You don´t by any chance know where I can get a lock to my machine :-?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Listed under Archive/Services is VintageVille's Penny Arcade. They produce an accurate reproduction of the Whizball. They also sell spares - might be worth inquiring if they sell a suitable lock.