Pesky Spammers & Scammers

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
terry

Pesky Spammers & Scammers

Post by terry »

I've noticed recently that we've had a massive influx of new members registering on this site and thought it strange as this is hardly a fast growing hobby, is it? !PUZZLED!

On closer inspection, it seems they are all spammers as they all have their own websites promoting SPAM..(as if we need THAT, eh chaps??) I'm sure that the administrators have noticed this phenomenon but can we do anything about it before the whole site gets clogged up with the dreaded spam?
slotalot

Re: New members mystery

Post by slotalot »

Hi Terry :D , you can be sure that the moderators are doing what they can to pick them off as they are listed. I have removed two or three today already !SHOOT! It's difficult to stop them without upsetting genuine people who want to join !SAINT!
I am sure the other mods are also on watch !TAPTAP! .
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Terry wrote:can we do anything about it before the whole site gets clogged up with the dreaded spam?
As I understand it, new members are restricted in their ability to make postings, so they are unlikely to saturate the site with links to on-line services... or the names of those obtaining super injunctions. As and when they make their limited posts, as Slotalot says, they are quickly kicked into touch... I don't think that their postings generally stay around more than a couple of hours and very rarely seem to have been read by more than a handful of people. ( Q. does anyone ever try out any of the suggested sites????). Also, once in a while, Mr Penny machines gets his duster out and cleans off the clearly non-slot enthusiast members... but truthfully, their registrations are fairly irrelevant in themselves.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I tend to pick them off when they post, as the initial posting has to be approved.
However you're right there has been a lot of them just recently. :#:
andydotp

Post by andydotp »

And this thursau1 is back spamming again - BEWARE!!! DON'T CLICK THE LINK....
andydotp

Pesky Spammers

Post by andydotp »

Topic moved & merged - site admin.

A quick suggestion:

If when we log in for our visit/s, if we see a latest post from the SAME person
WHO JOINED THAT DAY, ON EVERY TOPIC with a link we ought never click on it.
The Mods can't be online '24/7' (I hate that Americanism, whoops, Sorry JTP et al (do we have al AL?) , no offense - actually
us Aussies are using it now too
).. coz they're both flat on their backs in the shed with an Allwin up on blocks
and bits n pieces raining down on them....
So, lets just skip those posts and they'll doubtless get picked up within hours. And the perp will hopefully,,, errr, go away.

Further, could ALL 1st time new member posts be vetted somehow perhaps?? I'm no computer person
(as many of you know) but there could be a filter...?

(In fact it could go in BP's cooker seeing as that mechanism's been removed for the slide)..
a.p !!CHEERS!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: Pesky Spammers

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Andy,

Yes, that's definitely a sensible rule of thumb - if in doubt, don't click it!

It seems we've being targeted by a lone spammer, for the last week or so, who does his dirty business while most of us towards the top of the globe, are in bed. I'm making some changes so his job becomes more tricky.

Previously, new members' first posts were only visible to mods until approved. For technical reasons, that doesn't work at present, but I plan to reinstate it as soon as I can.
raj

Re: Pesky Spammers..ONLINE CON, BEWARE

Post by raj »

I've just recieved an enquiry from a Jordan David Evans, email evanszq02@gmail.com about one of my machines. It was simply a one liner, non specific. I decided to Google him due to the strange name, and there are pages of scams by him and others, involving using fake Paypal invoices, and sending some one to collect. He overpays and then asks for a full refund ( of real money) to correct the mistake with the promise to send more funds, which never arrive, or variations on the theme..
Also applies to gemmascoot1@gmail.com, willliaambbriigghttt@gmail.com ,david.agger07@gmail.com, mr.dagger00@gmail.com, got_the_dream@hotmail.com ,cfreynolds@sbcglobal.net,sstenphenjoo00@gmail.com, sharminpotter@gmail.com. There are loads more, but they simply generate new email addresses.
I always check and clear my Paypal balance when accepting online payments before shipping, and Google the buyer.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Pesky Spammers

Post by badpenny »

You're right to remind us Raj about the scummy scrotes who should be publicly shot, that might slow them down a bit and deter others.

It's one of the reasons we say not to put your email on a posting as there are bots trawling looking especially for email addresses, which they then mercilessly attack, even selling it on to other gits.
Another way they get email addresses is from jokes that are circulated usually with a plethora of contacts attached. I always delete them before forwarding on.
Raj I note you've put the perps' in your posting I hope they get plagued by their own kind.

You talk about an attempted scam concerning buying a machine, can you advise if you think that contact was raised through this site?

Badpenny
david.cameron@uk.gov.co.uk
raj

Re: Pesky Spammers & Scammers

Post by raj »

I suspect he got the email from my advert, so that is a learning point. I have had the follow up email from him that follows the usual format, told him to P off.. :evil: