Forum on Android

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
tazmantic

Forum on Android

Post by tazmantic »

So laptop is playing up. Graphics chip keeps throwing a wobbly :( so I thought, "I know, Ill pinch the misses tablet and use that......." So the forum loads up OK at the start, then everything but the panel down the left and the graphics at the top disappear !PUZZLED!
Any ideas :!?!:
slotalot

Re: Forum on Android

Post by slotalot »

Could be wrong !PUZZLED! but I think you need to have Flash Player installed to see them :!?!: Maybe your tablet is missing this?? !!JUNK!!
tazmantic

Post by tazmantic »

Thanks slotalot, I'll have a play when I get 5 mins :smash:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As Slotalot says, you'll encounter problems with the site if your mobile device (or its operating system) doesn't have (or doesn't accommodate) the Adobe Flash player plugin.
In response to Tazmantic's query (and Coppinpr's email re. his Samsung tablet), although Adobe no longer develop the Flash Player for Andriod, there are workarounds available - see, for example: How do I manually install Flash Player on my Android device?

Judging by the number of queries I've received over the last year, many of you are trying to access the site via these diminutive gadgets, so I've installed a mobile theme for the forum. This should be auto-detected by your phone/tablet and is a very stripped down version of the full theme. It should load quickly, be easily readable and overcome some compatibility issues. It can be toggled on an off from the little links near the bottom of the Forum page: Switch to mobile style & Switch to full style.

I'll continue to work on this (and am still developing a non-flash version of the site navigation), but as I don't have a mobile device, apart from my electric toothbrush, I'd be very grateful for feedback and suggestions.
jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I am not quite as devoid of mobile devices - one of my 18 year old geeks recently asked me for a "mobile self contained potassium delivery device" or to those of us born in the 50s - a banana. Guess what, I had a bunch of 'em.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I wondered what had happened when connecting from my Blackberry which works perfectly until the change.... but thank goodness I found the standard style button....:-) Not sure if I will have to use this every time.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Ha Ha - that's typical. The first feedback following "improvements" is "you just broke it!"
Do you dislike the look/function of the stripped-down mobile theme Treefrog, or does it not work?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Apple, banana, Blackberry???????

My phone is a candlestick which allows me to do a damn fine impersonation of Noel Coward ...... Dear Boy!

utf-8BSU1HMDA0MzEtMjAxMzA4MDktMTYwNC5qcGc.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

treefrog wrote:Not sure if I will have to use this every time.
A cookie ensures the style remains as you set it.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Thanks PM, you're right... works perfectly... I prefer the full version on the BB, but can understand having the mobile version for those that choose alternatives... Trouble is, BB may be not around much longer based on today's news :#:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Pray tell, what news today? :!?!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think Treefrog is referring to this sort of news: Why did BlackBerry crumble?
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Strewth! I've had my Gooseberry three years now and have only just evolved my fingers into cocktail sticks in order use it. They'll be saying soon my Polaroid camera is in danger next. !!UHOH!!