New Look Website

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
arrgee

New Look Website

Post by arrgee »

I see Mr PM that you have been busy with a few subtle tweeks. However if I bring up the menu on the left, a number of tabs do not work and have no 'on going' indicator pointy thingys. Is this still work in progress or is there something that my brain has not computed correctly?
!!JUNK!!
Does the OS have anything to do with it, I am still on windows 7.
Attachments
pmwebsite.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Re: New Look Website

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Arrgee,

Yes, it's a work in progress and teething problems are expected. Thanks for the feedback.
Can you tell me exactly which bits aren't working?
I'm testing on Windows 7, and Ubuntu with Firefox, Internet Explorer and Chrome. Mobile testing later...
The little pointy bits are only on the the flags for areas of the site which have subcategories (like the Forum). When you mouse over them, the sub menus should slide out (similar to the plus buttons on the old nav bar). Otherwise, if you click on the flags, you should go directly to the main page of that area. I noticed the search link was out of order - now fixed.
Apart from doing away with the troublesome Flash navigation, the idea was to hide most of it off-screen, leaving more room for content.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Hi Mr PM, the ones that do not work are those that have no triangles ie Home, Arcade, Arena, Calendar and News. When they are clicked, they disappear until an alternative one is clicked.
Not a moan, just an observation and many thanks for all your hard work on this website.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

They all work for me, triangles or not.
I can't see one though titled "Ladies with questionable morals" ..... mind you, there wasn't one before ..... I just live in hope.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

badpenny wrote:I can't see one though titled "Ladies with questionable morals"
....................and I can't get lobster thermidor at home either.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Arrgee wrote:When they are clicked, they disappear until an alternative one is clicked.
I'm not sure what you mean. !PUZZLED!
On mouse-down, a slightly smaller flag without the area name should appear briefly before the browser takes you to that area - a sort of animation effect. (If you hold the mouse button down over a flag, this 'nameless flag' should remain in view until you release the button).
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

When I move the mouse over a particular title, that title then has a union flag on it as in pic 1 (Calendar). When I then click it or hold down the mouse button, that title/flag disappears as in pic 2, and nothing happens
However, I have just logged on with a MacBook and everything is working ok?
Could it be outdated flash player or something similar? or maybe clear the cache?
Attachments
pm 2.jpg
pm 3.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Thanks for the screengrabs Arrgee. I hadn't seen that before, but I can replicate it on Internet Explorer (even though I tested extensively on that browser). :smash:
Must be something I changed recently - I'll look into it. Nothing to do with the Flash player, by the way. It's all done with cascading style sheets. :o
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Thanks Mr PM, the down side is that I was just about to argue the case with Mrs Arrgee for a spanking new 27 inch mac on the basis that my existing machine must be giving up!
oh well plod on...... :!?!:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OK, I've cobbled something together which seems to more or less solve the Internet Explorer misbehaviour.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

pennymachines wrote:OK, I've cobbled something together which seems to more or less solve the Internet Explorer misbehaviour.
Strewth Mr P! :o ......... Bill Gates and his team have been trying to do that since NT 3.5
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

:lol:
When IE was the default browser, the lack of standards compliance probably worked in their favour.
I wonder if Microsoft Edge will be better. :!?!:
Attachments
browsers.jpg
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

For some reason Chrome will no longer run on my desktop, so I had to install the development version (Chrome Canary). This revealed more problems with the menu, caused by some forgotten remnants of the old style. !!HYPNO!!
Fixed now, but you'll probably have to delete the cache to see the difference.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

pennymachines wrote:OK, I've cobbled something together which seems to more or less solve the Internet Explorer misbehaviour
Thanks Mr PM, your cobbling has worked. !!THUMBSX2!!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I cannot get the last two EH auction results in the arena.The whole screen is filled with the artwork of golf machine,chocolate vendor etc.This appears on other arena pages but I am able to scroll down on the right hand side to arrive at the item.The problem appears to be one of inability to scroll down.I am on windows vista and internet explorer.Thanks,Tony.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Tony,
Could you try clearing your cache and see if the problem remains?
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

I have cleared the cache but no joy,never mind,as I can access EH direct to get the results so not the end of the world.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I think it's fixed now. !PRAY!!
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Site is looking good, took me a week to get used to the much larger size of everything though, tried adjusting but made it worse. Only thing I don't like is that damn swinging screen image if you go too close to the left hand edge!! !!RANT!! But when it comes down to it only interested in the cool info, doesn't matter how it's displayed. !!CHEERS!!
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

Still the same, Mr PM.