User personal gallery image uploads

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
burrows

User personal gallery image uploads

Post by burrows »

I am interested to see images in the (gallery section) of this website from other members collection's but seem to be having difficulty. I would also like to upload and share one or two images of my own but keep getting a warning/failure code.!! !PUZZLED!

I can see other members may have had a similar problem unless they have simply removed the contents of their album. Some album/image's are accessible and others aren't. The ones that aren't have a red cross through with no access/images.

Following an attempt to upload an image myself I have opened up an album with a red cross through it with no image. The reason for no image is because: I couldn't upload one.!!

I don't know whether it's a problem with my device or simply because i don't have the permissions. Either way, I can't add an image to complete or remove my failed album upload attempt.!!
Can anyone offer me any advise on this please..?? :!?!:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: User personal gallery image uploads

Post by badpenny »

The reason images are no longer available may well be due to the same reason that many other websites and forums are experiencing the same thing.
Namely Photobucket suddenly changed their conditions. The main one being from "free" to "pay"

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Actually, Photobucket won't affect it because all images in the PM Gallery are hosted on site. It may well be that some images/galleries have been deleted by users, because I deliberately left that option open, but there are other issues, as Burrows has discovered. I had a look at it this afternoon and immediately created havoc by doing something silly which mucked up the Forum and also deleted all the Gallery images. :smash: I put it down to too much New Year cheer.

Fixed now, but getting the Gallery up to speed is not proving straightforward. I neglected it, because after an initial surge of interest, it didn't appear to be a valued addition to the site.

I'd be interested to know if Widget, for example, deleted the pics in his album or if the Gallery somehow lost them.
burrows

Post by burrows »

Okay, thank you for letting me know. !THUMBS!
That is a shame... !UPSET!
I thought it was either me or problems with my device/access.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Never deleted any pics mate, were on the other week as I was looking through them, reminiscing.
burrows

Post by burrows »

Whatever you did earlier, it has now resolved my issue of uploading images to the Gallery. @&@
Thank you guys.. !THUMBS!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

widget2k4 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:43 pm Never deleted any pics mate, were on the other week as I was looking through them, reminiscing.
OK - fixed now. I've also done a bit of work on the style and function of the Gallery. :cool:
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Not fixed for me? Photos I could see last night are now gone?
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hopefully, if you clear your cache they will reappear. !!JUNK!!
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Sorted !THUMBS!

Is the gallery supposed to be for your own images only?
just someone has posted a picture of one of my machines that I had in Coventry auction for some reason?
gallery/image/421
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

widget2k4 wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:46 am Is the gallery supposed to be for your own images only?
Not necessarily.

The watermark on that image is from Vintage Amusements Auctions, indicating Jerry's copyright. I believe that posting it here would be considered 'fair use'.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Oh well I don't really see the point of the gallery then, I presumed it was to show off your own machines or work that you have done to them, seems pointless posting pictures that are from another website when you could just look at the other website to see them, will start becoming messy if someone posted all the pictures from elephant for example in my opinion anyway.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I recall it was in response to your suggestion for a place where folk could upload before and after restoration pictures that I created the Gallery, so I take your point, but short of removing 'inappropriate content', I don't believe the mods or I would want to police it.
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Yes I remember suggesting before and after pictures, which it's not what it is if someone is just going to randomly post pictures of machines from auction sites, I don't even get what the purpose of doing that is?
JC

Post by JC »

Widget - I don't think that's your machine. You had a Copper Sega in last November's auction but the picture is of the Sega Bell that was in the year before.
As for copyright, so long as pictures taken from my site are posted in the gallery here by whoever supplied the picture in the first place (i.e. the original owner of the machine), that's fine.
burrows

Post by burrows »

widget2k4 wrote:
Is the gallery supposed to be for your own images only?
just someone has posted a picture of one of my machines that I had in Coventry auction for some reason?
gallery/image/421

!WHOOPS! !SURRENDER!

Just to explain: This is a personal image of a machine I previously owned which (Jerry used) to sell for me at the Coventry 2015 auction.

I don't mean to upset the apple cart here, and I do agree with you widget2k4 about personal images of machines entered onto the personal gallery section.

I'm happy to remove the image should it be unacceptable..??

The same could be said, for the Ruffler & Walker Hat Trick machine (which l also no longer own now ) as I sold that too at Coventry in 2016..??

Forgive me for showing these images if they are inappropriate and against the rules but having previously owning the machines thought it would be okay to show like minded collectors who might like to see them.

l may not still own the machines but I still like to see them.!LOOK!

I apologise, I certainly didn't think it would cause a problem. :woops:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Burrows, suspect if you took the piccies, you are the copyright owner, so I would not be so apologetic, which you allowed someone else to publish on your behalf for selling said machine, irrespective of who owns the machine now.....

I copy thousands of pictures of other peoples machines and would be happy to use in my own gallery, not that I have one. As has been proven many times, copyright is a grey area once published in public forums. I always work on the basis if I have released a picture of one of my machines, I am no longer in control of it.....
widget2k4

Post by widget2k4 »

Just want to apologise for upsetting the apple cart. I did make a mistake in thinking that was my machine and I hold my hands up to that (sorry burrows).
My main point was the pictures from auction sites etc., I did not and still do not see the point in it but everyone to their own. I always thought the gallery was to show machines that had been restored or repaired etc.