Don't give too much away...

Comment on this site; suggest improvements; be firm but polite.
arrgee

Don't give too much away...

Post by arrgee »

Topic split from Coventry Spring Auction (24/03/19) Site Admin.
treefrog wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:48 pmTrouble is very few of the so called serious collectors on this forum will share......either worried about the criticism they may get, shy or just can’t be assed......
Or perhaps they do not want to advertise to the world what treasures they may have.................just waiting to be stolen.
clubconsoles

Re: Don't give too much away...

Post by clubconsoles »

Yes, that's the problem, this forum is open to anyone, not like a closed group like some of those on Facebook.
Lots of crooks will surely come from ponds they lurk to come and view the wonderful machine pics being uploaded to this very forum.
I know some on here have terrific collections, but can you imagine the chaos it would cause, if everyone started showing off their hidden beauties.
All sorts of offers and deals would ensue causing the admin to "meltdown".
It seems to be a constant battle for them to get us to utilise the "market place" when you can do the very same job for free on arsebook!!
I myself, have been guilty of such crime, for which I duly apologized and promised to never do again. :#:
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

The irony is that this site is more secure than any supposedly closed forum. You join with an alias and it is down to you to reveal who you are......whereas the Facebook's groups are a nightmare.... Firstly they are not closed and the moderators let anyone in.... Secondly so many people use their real identities and, worse still, do not lock down their profile. Including yours mate ;-)

I would highly recommend all of you using Facebook to really lock your accounts, which you can do. I see looking at a few people who are on here they are totally open. I can see their kids/grandchildren pictures, when they are out visiting some place or away on holiday..... Never never never post on Facebook where you are - only where you have been. I created an alias for a long time called Frank Simmons and used that to post, but found it a bit awkward when I bought a machine off someone and had to pretend to be Frank.... Not as easy as you may think...

So no, I do not believe the risk exists on here, or is at least low. Anyone who knows you and your alias, already probably knows where you live.
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

Well, well, well, thanks for pointing that out.
So how do I lock down my profile? Are you telling me you know where I live just by looking on my facebbok feed? I am shocked, pm me if you wish.
Your feedback is much appreciated.

I have never looked to see what others can see whilst viewing FB, so what would "locking down" my profile achieve??
I have seen you active as Frank Simmons. Do you have a personal profile as well?
As you mentioned, I am sure it could cause some confusion when trying to buy a machine.

Would never post pics when on holiday, and never normally do even when I'm back. It take a special kind of stupid to do that lol.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If you go into settings and the privacy section, turn everything to be for friends only..... Groups are not friends..... Also turn location history off in settings, important.... Public posts should be set to friends only......

Facebook was supposed to automatically change your posts so not logging as public by default, but did not change old posts.... I changed all my old pictures and posts so not public...

Another key security feature, not directly related to Facebook, but a risk, is ensure on your camera/phone location settings are turned off, otherwise all pictures will have the location embedded in them. So yes, a picture of your finest machine may have your address published to the world.

No, Facebook does not publish your address, as you do not need to submit this, but people put a lot of info on their profiles, as well as pictures etc. to help identify you, which is why it is important to lock down.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:ensure on your camera/phone location settings are turned off
Absolutely agree TF, modern cameras and phones will write a lot information to the jpeg photo file, camera type, aperture, speed, lens settings, exact time and date pic was taken and most scary exact number coordinates of where the photo was taken, so all you need to do is type these number coordinates into google maps and hey presto you have not only the exact property location but an aerial view and street view as well. :shock:

All of us who use digital technology leave a cyber footprint far larger than we think. :smash:
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

Wow, worrying, I didn't know that......
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Really? …… Wow, all I can say is you've obviously never helped the Police with their enquiries.
The first thing they do is take your phone. They extract all of the deleted stuff you've got on it and identify when and where images originate from. They look for patterns in what you delete and check them against whom you claim to have had no contact with. Also if your phone has GPS they can find out where your phone and you have been in the world and exactly when (even if you've never used the GPS) In the process they will destroy your phone, you will not be recompensed for it.
So I hear !!! :!?!: …… anyway
I'm hoping somebody will reply saying …… "Well if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to worry about!" I could do with a good laugh today.

BP *BOWS*
banditboy67

Post by banditboy67 »

I've always been a good boy, and so glad I have been with what you've mentioned.. :shock:
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

badpenny wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 3:42 pmI'm hoping somebody will reply saying …… "Well if you've done nothing wrong you've got nothing to worry about!" I could do with a good laugh today
There is of course another reply that would have the same effect as the above.

"I don't have a mobile phone". Unlikely as it seems, this can happen. I do know several people who don't have a mobile. :lol:
Crooks and high profile business men (I think they are the same thing) habitually use disposable sims or even phones. I once knew a London stock exchange dealer who at least said he had had 54 phones in one year. This was before sim only deals. The agro of actually doing that seems to me to out weigh the benefits.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

True …… however, it is also astonishing how many details like that are already known to them ….. apparently.

BP :-(
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I split and retitled the above posts because they seem worthy of a separate topic.

I think TreeFrog raised important points about online privacy and security.
Facebook probably offers the easiest means of giving it all away. It collects data on you even if you don’t have an account, including your browser history. Also your Facebook-using family, friends and acquaintances may post photos which include you, and get tagged with your name, and Facebook gleans your phone number, email address etc. from their shared contact books.

A leaked 2004 instant messenger conversation Mark Zuckerberg had with a friend a few weeks after launching Facebook at Harvard University demonstrated a cavalier attitude to others' privacy:
ZUCK: yea so if you ever need info about anyone at harvard

ZUCK: just ask

ZUCK: i have over 4000 emails, pictures, addresses, sns

FRIEND: what!? how’d you manage that one?

ZUCK: people just submitted it

ZUCK: i don’t know why

ZUCK: they “trust me”

ZUCK: dumb fucks

In light of that, it's unsurprising to see him in trouble for doing the same on a larger scale and for greater profit in 2018.

And when not doing it deliberately: Facebook says big breach exposed 50 million accounts to full takeover.

This year it was revealed that since as far back as 2012 over 20,000 Facebook employees had access to 600 million user passwords, because they were stored in plain text.

From 2016 to three months ago (when it was reported) Facebook enticed users to install an app which secretly recorded their phone calls.

Zuckerberg, on the other hand, takes his own security seriously, spending $10 million a year on it and employing an army of secret police to guard his secretly negotiated Lake Tahoe compound. He clearly believes he has something to hide: his staff are not allowed to take photos of him and he tapes over his laptop's microphone and camera.

Facebook rant over.

To TF's other point about photos revealing where you live...
That is something we should all be aware of.
Obviously, photos will only include this if taken on a device with GPS. My camera doesn't have it, but if you use a device which does, your coordinates won't be recorded unless you have GPS tracking turned on. Currently, because of battery limitations and data allowances, most users don't leave it on. So in practice, most photos don't show location (at present).

You can disable the location setting on your device and you can easily view and delete your photos' EXIF data.

It's perhaps also worth being aware that the EXIF includes your device make, model and settings.

I optimize most of the images here for online display, and in the process remove the original EXIF data. I'm currently looking into ways of automatically stripping it out.* To be fair, I believe Facebook already do this (no idea if they record it first though).

* Now implemented