Rotamints

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jackie3896

Re: Rotamint Duett

Post by jackie3896 »

Hi,

Sorry, I’ve got some catching up to do on this Rotamint thread, but just to let you know, my Rotamint works on thrupenny bits.

Chris.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

There you go, well done!

Pity you're not near Lincoln I could put a bucket thruppenies out on my doorstep for you.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Progress.... of a sort!

Threepenny bits arrived today! Only took 3 hours to get the coin mech working! Each time I thought it was working OK I would reassemble only to find it didn’t once back in the machine, adjust repeat, adjust repeat etc.

The key probs in the end seemed to be a weak spring clip holding the reject slot closes which periodically let the edge of the coin drop in and get trapped. Bent the clip up to tighten it. Then the coin kept leaning to the side and stopping. Not sure why, but a lolly stick guide seems to have sorted this and finally needed a bit of filing and polishing on the ‘knobbles’ inside the mech that the coin runs along. Now accepting coins consistently and the switch discussed above is adjusted so it breaks as the cam pushes the coin out. Not sure if it should, but it looks that way. Guess I’ll find out once the fuses arrive - luckily I’ve ordered a few!

The payout appears to pay two 3ds at a time. This looks by design, rather than being a fault, as it is consistent.
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

So some might be interested in an update. It’s working...! Sort of. I managed to get the coin mech accepting coins but getting the machine to work with it proved a further challenge. Adjusting the cam the accept coins first but push them out after is a fine balance. At first the machine was stopping mid cycle. After a while I realised that the break switch was breaking too soon as the coin was pushed out. Once the contacts were bent a little to they broke a little later was the simple fix. A shame it took me an hour to discover it!
So the machine now runs and also pays out! The payout seems a little random and not always when 3 similar numbers are showing. I think it’s paying more money than it’s taking at the moment so that’s the next job! I suspect that will require a bit of thinking through. Also the brake switches on two of the wheels don’t seem to do anything even though the actual switches appear to be operating. Another one to look at. Anyway here it is so far!

nige4554

Post by nige4554 »

Geoff, we spoke a couple of times on the Moulin Rouge I am renovating slowly. I have taken a pause on it as hard to come by some of the parts. I have started on my Rotamint, reading some of the posts on the coin, it came with a load of pennies. I assume that’s what it takes, I cannot get the coin mech working. I don’t have a clue with this one and no manual. Where in the UK are you? I only need to fix the coin mech and get a key made for the locks then this is finished.
nige4554

Rotamint Fruits

Post by nige4554 »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi all, I said I wouldn’t do exactly what I have done and bought a couple more German machines, a rotamint Fruits and a Metromar Gold. I should probably throw them in a skip but my hobby has got the better of me. I am looking for a manual for both.
I have started on the rotamint as this seems to be in the best condition. None of the machines worked when plugged in!! Hence skip.
I stripped down the whole machine, cleaned polished and re assembled as much as I could, waiting on a few replacement spares, bulbs and switch, I have finally got it going and it works a treat except ep the coinmech, there is a snapped off earth not sure where that goes otherwise nearly there. Any help appreciate. I am reluctant to start the Metromar gold lol.
Attachments
B63E6AC6-2185-4495-A4F3-005D49736D9Ca.jpg
BF9A17D9-0CF3-4DFF-820B-7CB5BEE71353a.jpg
coppinpr

Re: Rotamint Fruits

Post by coppinpr »

that's an interesting machine, at first sight, it could be a UK conversion but I'm pretty sure it's not, I think it was made by NSM in 1963 for the UK market. NSM didn't usually use that style of "photo like"graphics, but for a short time in 1963/64 they made several glasses with that kind of picture graphic, the nearest being the 1963 "Rheingold", that machine didn't use the standard "Rotomint" payout system like yours but the case is exact and the glass has the same style (but not the same actual) pictures
rhiengold.jpg

geofflove

Post by geofflove »

I had a Rotomint Duett which looked to be very similar inside. I suspect almost identical mech.
Attachments
4B3390E0-16DD-4B20-8C3D-FEF387E09C3Da.jpg
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

Hi! I’m in Newcastle on Tyne. Mine took thrupenny bits. What’s the prob with the coin mech? Mine was a pain to get working and in getting it to work I suspect I made it less picky about rejecting dodgy coins, but that wasn’t really a concern for me.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

coppinpr wrote:I think it was made by NSM in 1963 for the UK market
Would that have been 3d or 6d play? Coin entry looks too small for 1d.
brigham

Post by brigham »

I would say sixpence play, given the five-bob payout.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Just noticed the 3d coins in the payout tray of Geoff's Rotamint.
nige4554

Post by nige4554 »

Geoff/Coppin, I have some sixpences so will try these. Any advice where to go next to get the coin mech working?
geofflove

Post by geofflove »

You should be able to see which by looking at the thickness of the payout slide? 3d pieces are about twice as thick as sixpences and the slide will reflect this. If you want to post some clear pics of the coin mech I might be able to remember what I did! I no longer have the machine to look at.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

As Geoff says, both the coin entry and the tube should give the game away. These are rare in that 3d was perhaps the most common coin used, I still have a Rotomint "Super" (same machine, different glass) running on 3d.
bert

Rotamint Rex 1957 schematic?

Post by bert »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Hello All

I am looking for the schematic of a Rotamint Rex, 1957.

Can someone help me with that?

Greetings Bert
pippy

Re: Rotamints

Post by pippy »

Hi,
Just bought and I am looking for spares, mainly the plastic stop buttons of which there are three just above the payout tray. Anyone have a scrap one?

Regards

phil
pippy

Re: Rotamint Record help

Post by pippy »

Hi

I also am working on a Rotamint Record. I had problems with the coin mech but with several adjustments I got it to work.
My problem is with the first reel. You are supposed to be able to restart the first reel and it don't work. The brakes work but first reel don't. There is a purple wire that goes to the right hand contacts that make the machine run but I can't work out how it's supposed to work. You put a coin in and the micro switch operates and the machine starts then the contact pair takes over and the machine continues to run but that breaks the contact the purple wire goes to.

Any ideas or is there a circuit diagram available?

phil
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I've got a couple but to be honest, I've never had a problem so can't help much, I'm not quite clear what it is you're saying. Are you saying the reel 1 won't restart ("You are supposed to be able to restart the first reel and it dont work") or that reel one won't start at all ("The brakes work but first reel don't").

From memory, the restarts need to be made quite soon after the reel stops or the option is lost. It's not possible to restart the reels after waiting too long. Restarting the reels reactivates the solenoid that has opened to stop the reel, so trace the wiring back to the power to that solenoid from the restart switch.
pippy

Post by pippy »

Hi,
The reel starts and stops correctly but when the restart light comes on the reel is already spinning. When it stops the restart light has already gone out. I am wondering if the cams have been messed with. Has anyone got a good picture of the cams in the start position? If so, I could check that.

Any help would be appreciated. *Email address removed to protect you from Spam - members can contact you via the Forum email system of Private Messaging - Site Admin.

Phil