DAYGLO GOVERNOR!!

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
raj

DAYGLO GOVERNOR!!

Post by raj »

have a look at this on ebay!!! 130359459820 a genuine (sic) Dayglo Orange Governor
treefrog

Re: DAYGLO GOVERNOR!!

Post by treefrog »

Yes noticed this, a little on the bright side :shock: , Perhaps would be more appropriate on Sun Cheifs or Bursting Cherrys.or maybe this was the special limited edition wrap around lite up version :mad:

Sometimes painting over chrome issues looks ok on some machines, but not sure about a Govenor. This of course does happen well on other Jennings, like the Prospector for sale recently, but with matching the top casing and bottom with a slightly toned down finish might look ok.
JC

Post by JC »

Well, the description clearly says "completely restored by us", so that's obviously how it's supposed to look. :eek:
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Oh, that is truly horrid. I thought perhaps it had dayglo reel strips - they looked ok, with a UV tube inside, though they were more common on Ballys.
longbobongo

Post by longbobongo »

It looks hidious. Was it really supposed to be bright orange!!

Another question. Does anyone have any sales catalogues for slot machines and there options?

Craig
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Here is the answer on ebay
Q: Hi. I have to ask as i'm sure other people will ask the same. Why is the front painted red? Regards John 17-Jan-10
A: Hi John, The bottom casting came back from the chromers in a bad condition, so we sprayed it red, simply because we were restoring a Mills Hi-Top as well & that was the colour we were using in the spraygun at the time. regards Henry.

If thats the case, it must of been so bad that the prechromers couldnt polish it out... They shouldnt write completely restored though, as that is false information; its been made good, not restored! I wonder how long that paint will last on chrome, its really hard to paint over unless you use some quite taxing acid etch primer; you bang that machine into something or glance it with an object i wonder how long the paint will last? I agree though, hideous and wouldnt have that in my home even if it was a couple of hundred quid.
raj

Post by raj »

the truth is out there....seriouly, the bottom castings are a pig to chrome without the right gear. I've never had a real good success on the vertical grooves, however they will polish up well if all the original crap is removed, cost no more than plating. The only snag is the polished Ali is not quite the same colour as chrome, so it's best to polish the lot & keep applying the Autosolve every month. Paint covers an awful lot of underlying faults & I suppose it is plainly obvious to all. It might still be worth buying & stripping & polishing I suppose.
JC

Post by JC »

..............yes, but that's no excuse for listing as 'completely restored'.
Should have read 'partially bodged'

:GRRR:
raj

Post by raj »

wow...sold for £950 allegedly, I'm off to Wilco's to buy some red paint, sell all my Governors & retire to Spain.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

swaledaleslots wrote:wow...sold for £950 allegedly, I'm off to Wilco's to buy some red paint, sell all my Governors & retire to Spain.
Or the dregs of any random coloured paint you had left in your paint gun.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

If the person is happy with the look of their purchase I guess there is no problem. It is only a problem to a purist or collector (I guess they are the same), who want a machine to look like it did when coming out of the factory, but with 50 years on unmolested patina still pouring over the detail.

Problem is, this is so unlikely to exist any-more. I am reminded of someone pointing this out on the forum on the topic of refurbs on Roll-a-Tops, back in the 40s and 50s and I found an article on this on the web last night with dozens of adverts selling these machine in a publication called The Billboard an entertainment mag from the US. How many times have these machines been stripped, modified, parts replaced etc., etc. On here people are often deciding what colour to do their project machine in, as the original was a boring brown or grey..

As I have learnt through bitter experience of collecting ( I am still a novice, in only having the bug for the last two years), when buying blind, more than 50% of the stuff I get is bodged, non-original, poorly restored etc. I always remember either PM or BP when I first joined this forum stating they wouldn't spend £550 on a machine I had bid on but didn't win in Holland, without seeing it. It was a rare pocket slot with a glorious enamelled finish. 50 machines later, through mistake after mistake, I have to say they are right. Spend more than a few hundred quid and you really need to view.

I suppose the one thing the mistakes have done is slowly make me learn and I am now getting better at identifying the tell-tail details through pictures of a bodged machine. I still make mistakes regularly though and have picked up items even at the Coventry auction with a major crack on it that I hadn't seen.

The one thing you can say is that the dayglo machine is from a reputable seller and restorer, even if on occasion other parts are used or they do not match the original out of the factory machine. I guess a collector will tell the difference and a consumer is worried about the look and the reliability.