Token varieties

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Token varieties

Post by treefrog »

Anyone collect slot machine tokens, I am sure there must be as this topic probably comes under coin and token collecting area, which there are many of.

The reason I ask is that over time, I am fascinated by the varieties of tokens I have found in the machines I have bought, some of which are big brand companies like Bell, Aristocrat and Sega, but others seem to depict the sellers initials, like CAS for Crompton Amusements and R&W for Ruffler and Walker.

Below are a few others I have separated, but have no idea who most relate to. I know I have seen Peter Simper tokens with PS on them, but I have 1000's with P.E.?

Anyone actually collect these or know the origins as I am sure these forms part of the history and I may well keep the variants separate as I come across them for interest. !!YABBADABBA!!
Attachments
CIMG1454.JPG
CIMG1455.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Token varieties

Post by badpenny »

I half-heartedly started to collect them, more accurate to say I started putting one or two of the same sort aside. However I don't know any more than you seem to so over to others?

I'll dig out some of the odder ones and scan them in for posting.
malcymal

Re: Token varietes

Post by malcymal »

I've got an uncirculated Sega Continental special award token if you haven't got one, mint. PM me if you want it and I will stick it in an envelope with a steamed off unfranked stamp and pop it in the post free of charge.
livinginthepast

Post by livinginthepast »

P.E. stood for Phonographic Equipment of Ladbroke Grove in London.who were the importers of Bally fruit machines.
The tokens with a whole in the middle were 3d in value and the solid ones were worth 6d.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

livinginthepast wrote:P.E. stood for Phonographic Equipment of Ladbroke Grove in London.who were the importers of Bally fruit machines.
The tokens with a whole in the middle were 3d in value and the solid ones were worth 6d
I had wondered why some had the holes in them and we have answer to one of the initials

Malc, is the Sega token like the ones below?

You also have the GOLD award tokens like below and the allwin tokens, which I do not have any of.
Attachments
CIMG1462.JPG
CIMG1465.JPG
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

The token is the same as the ones in the top photo; if you havent got one let me know by PM and I will post it to you. Malc
lepingouinmecanique

Post by lepingouinmecanique »

Hi,
I'm also collecting tokens !
At first it was to fill all the French machines I'm collecting, then I found some really interesting and started to put them on the side ... I might have around 800 different ... mostly French of course !
If someone have some and wants to trade, you are welcome to write to me !
Attachments
jetons à consommer.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Extending the topic on tokens, a very unusual token finished on ebay tonight which, when a few quid, I was interested in, but ended up reaching £33.... Must be a rare old thing used by the engineers during maintenance or testing etc. One assumes for weighing scales based on the name. Anyone seen any for amusement machines?

1d PENNY SLOT MACHINE MECHANICS TOKEN ISSUED FOR TEST PURPOSES ONLY
Attachments
penny1.JPG
penny2.JPG
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

£33 wow, someone was desperate to spend a penny :o

I see he has another one ending in four and a bit days.

BP
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

This token's origin extends its interest beyond the realm of coin-op. The Soho Foundry sits at the heart of the Industrial Revolution, being Boulton and Watt's steam engine Manufactory.
Soho_Foundry.jpg

W & T Avery Limited bought the Foundry from James Watt & Co. in 1895 and (now as Avery Weigh-Tronics) remain a major weighing scale manufacturer. They have a by-appointment-only Avery Museum (which I must visit) with "probably the finest collection of weighing artefacts in the world."

On the subject of slot machine tokens, I recently added this website to the Archive: https://sites.google.com/site/malsprojects

Also, recently scouring the web for some info on the Totem Manufacturing Co. of Southampton, who, according to Braithwaite were only in Business from 1927-8 and made "3 versions of a shooter", all I found were these 6D tokens:
Attachments
totem-token1.JPG
totem-tokens.JPG
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Just today I found a very unusual token hidden with about 50 others under the coin tray of a Buckley half top I'm stripping down. It appears this machine has been on tokens since it first arrived in the UK and there were several unusual tokens hidden inside, but one looks really rare. It's marked "Keeney" across the top and Keeney's super mints" across the bottom. If it's the Keeney slot co., I wonder what the "super mints" were all about !PUZZLED!
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Just noticed by chance while clearing up a couple tokens that I would guess are US military of origin 5c in size. Interesting the names suggest they were for use by different classes of staff, NCO Open Mess and SAC Officers Open Mess ( I am guessing strategic air command) Of which most of the USAAF bases in the UK were SAC bases......so I guess this is their origin..... I have a funny feeling they came from a very original Mill Token Bell I have that operates on 5c tokens....
Attachments
CIMG1890.JPG
CIMG1892.JPG
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Last edited by treefrog on Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

These French tokens (mostly Bussoz) are nice...
Attachments
french-tokens.jpg
gameswat

Post by gameswat »

Harry Lachmund was a big operator on the east coast, one of just a handful in Aust I guess. I've found lots of his tokens in machines over the years. Charles Shelley was possibly the biggest i think as I've had his name on cards and decals on many machines along with thousands of his tokens.