American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
special when lit

1936 Groetchen Twenty One trade stimulator

Postby special when lit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:20 pm

Thought you may want to see some pics of my just restored Groetchen Twenty One (not 21, that's a different machine!) trade stim.
As the name suggests, the game is based on Blackjack, with 4 number reels as your 'hand' and the 5th reel as the house's hand. When you push the arm down, all 5 reels spin, but reels 3, 4 & 5 have the windows blanked, so you can't see the numbers. The first two reels are your hand, and you can choose to draw 1 or 2 cards by pressing little levers under the corresponding window, then you press the lever under the 5th window to see if you've beat the house.
There is no payout on this machine, if you won, you'd tell the barkeep & he'd give you a cigar or free drink.
This machine is set up to work on 1d, but also works on modern 2p, which saves me buying 1d's of ebay!
It's not perfect, but I'm happy with how it's turned out. I still need the frame for the instruction card & the gumball door, which fits in the hole bottom left.
IMGP1457-2.jpg
Before
IMGP1458-1.jpg
IMGP1460-1.jpg
IMGP1519.jpg
After
IMGP1520.jpg
IMGP1521.jpg

treefrog

Re: 1936 Groetchen Twenty One trade stimulator

Postby treefrog » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

What a great job you have done !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!! it looks lovely.

Question, what was the lower unit/box below the pre-restore piccies for? (cash box?)

special when lit

Postby special when lit » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:36 pm

Yes, it was an extra cash box. There was a hole cut in the bottom of the machine for the money to fall through.
It looked the same sort of age as the machine, so I don't know if it was an optional extra back in the day, but I asked on a couple of American forums & got no reply.
All the photos I've seen have not had one fitted, so I left it off.
I've kept it safe though, if I ever find out it's a rare valuable extra!

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:58 am

Hey Specs, nice job! I like these projects too as the changes are so enormous. Was the base made of matching wood or different? Maybe an operators add-on as someone went to some trouble to match it to the cabinet quite nicely. I've seen quite a few of the early cast irons turn up with these added bases so you can imagine the amount of cash flowing in that they needed them!?