American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Bingolett..... help please!

Postby coppinpr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:30 am

machine1.jpg
I'm just about to start work on this Bingolett, the case and playfield are in very good condition, as you can see from the photo, and inside the wiring seems complete and in good order, except for the transformer area and the fact that there are clearly at least two parts missing.
mech1.jpg
I know at least one other forum member has one of these and I know most others on this site know more than I do, so I want to ask for as much help as I can restoring this great machine. First thing I need to know is what's missing and can I make it/buy it. I would guess the complete payout system is missing and that connects to the three colored wires. Just below this are two disconnected white wires and a bracket that must have held something, I don't know what.
payout1.jpg
The coin mech is for UK 3d and I think a part is missing, the parts that decide if the coin should go to the payout chute or the coin box seem to be there but nothing to make them work. Should there be something here?
coin1.jpg
coin1.jpg (46.02 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
Lastly (for the moment) the transformer area is a mess, but seems to be connected, all except for one of two grey wires, and the larger transformer is loose and not attached to the case. Is it a replacement? I think perhaps it is!
trans1.jpg
trans1.jpg (40.9 KiB) Viewed 5476 times
I did get the original wiring chart which is good but in German !!
Like so many German machines of the early 60s these seem to me to be so important representing the transition from mech to Electric and offering, for the first time, at least the hint, of the player being in control. Of course he's not, the skill level is actually less than an Allwin.
I'm grateful for all help and it's much needed !!THUMBSX2!!

slotalot

Re: problems with posts

Postby slotalot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:53 am

Hi :D , nice looking machine you have there. You say you have the original wiring diagram? Any chance you can post it on here?
As for your transformer !PUZZLED! it looks to me, and I could be wrong! as if the original transformer may have had two outputs, for example 24volts??? for the solenoids/relays and maybe 12volts??? for the lamps. If the original transformer burnt out it could be difficult to find a replacement, so they may have used two separate transformers, one for the 12volts??? and one for the24volts???. That is the most likely reason for having two transformers. It also looks as if the original rectifier has been replaced as well with the new blue square one. As for the gray wires? Really need to see the diagram to sort that.
Not sure I have been any help, but I did try !!CHEERS!!

coppinpr

Re: Bingolett..... help please!

Postby coppinpr » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:18 pm

Happy to post the W/D, will it come out large enough to see? I'll try, if not I can send you the file.. I'm sure you're right about the double transformer as the W/D hints at two voltages. Any ideas on the missing parts? Also did I pay too much? £210, not that I care, I love it LOL
Thanks for help!
scan0001.jpg

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:17 pm

I did see this machine, not too far from me and was going to have a go, until I saw the price, I think about £212?, I was going to post something about the price as, but I am trying to get into the habit of not knocking what other feel something is worth to them, as what is important is that you are happy with it....Having said that good working one's tend not to be much more than this, I have seen non working one's going for as little as £100 or less.....At the end of the day, if you can get it working, it will be worth it....Also it is on English coinage and script, which is always a bonus.....

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:23 pm

Hi, Thanks for the wiring diagram !THUMBS!
The spare gray wire from the transformer, looks as if it is left over from the 12v-0v-12v tapings, "but I could be wrong!" see sketch. If so just tape it up to make it safe.

As for the payout solenoid (AUSZAHLER) see bottom left on wiring diagram, the 2 red/green wires should be joined to one side of the payout solenoid, and the orange wire should be connected to the other side of the payout solenoid via switch "A".. and handle with care as they are 240v AC

As for the missing mechanical parts????? :!HELP:! .............. !!ANYONE!!
transformer.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Slotalot's your man for the technical stuff but I have a working example here on old penny play, so let me know if any close-ups or component specs might help. My transformer's probably a replacement too and also in a bit of a bird's nest.
Englishman11 can probably sort you out with the missing payout bits.
You may be pleased to know I paid more than you (albeit for a complete and working example) many years ago and still consider it a good buy.
I already provided a cleaned-up Bingolett wiring schematic in Resources.
bingolette-M1.jpg
bingolette-M2.jpg
bingolette-M3.jpg

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:26 am

Neither of the two transformers in coppinpr's machine are original, nor is the one in pennymachine's picture. The original is a substantial chunk with a core 85mm square and 33mm thick and two windings, one 12V for the lights and one 30V that is rectified for the relays and clickers. The cam timer and the payout solenoid run directly off the 240V mains input and don't depend on the transformer at all. It seems 12V/30V transformers are unobtainable but it's perfectly reasonable to use two smaller ones, and everything will probably still work from 24V if a 30V unit is hard to find (28V is a standard voltage, though). Coppinpr, you should probably toss out that big gray one, as it looks like a tranny out of a piece of old valve equipment and probably has 500V or so floating around on some unconnected windings with murder in its heart. Actually don't toss it, sell it, as those are rare and sought-after these days. You are also missing the payout solenoid and slide, as has already been mentioned, though at least you have the tube. The rest of it looks complete.

The picture is a bit washed out by the flash, but my machine is entirely original, old penny. This is how they looked when they were new. I don't want to brag, but I only paid 120 US Dollars for it and about another $40 renewing the rubbers and lamps. I have to run mine off an auto-transformer, since my mains is only 110V. Replacing the transformer is not an option as I still have to drive the timer and payout solenoid, and the latter is a meaty sucker that needs a family-size transformer to deliver enough current.

<edit> not entirely original. The white wire snaking down the right side from some top lights to the transformer is my addition, to keep the playfield lights on while the bingo panel lights go off at the end of the game. If you wire it so the bingo panel stays lit, the plastic framing melts.
bingolet-L.jpg

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:40 am

PS: there's a little overflow chute to the right of the top of the payout tube that sends coins to the cash box when the tube is full. The other part of the overflow is on the back half of the case, the part that screws to the wall, and the cash box lives there also if it's present. Mr pennymachine's cash tube has been seriously assaulted and an additional gaping hole made near the bottom, where no hole ought to be, for the overflow.

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:54 pm

I don't think the cash tubes are Wulff-original on either of our machines, as these games were designed to take the 10 PF piece. Various outfits, like AMECO, imported them, adapted the coin acceptors and lashed up coin tubes and slides to make them work on British coinage. I assume they put the lower overflow hole on my coin tube because the solenoid, designed to slide a coin from the bottom of a stack of 10 PF, wasn't built to do this from a stack of heavy British pennies.

gameswat

Postby gameswat » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:10 pm

Good call PM. You can easily spot the second hand import versions from looking at the glass like the one shown here. The original payout schedule should be printed on the glass with mirroring just like all the other numbers. The UK operators scratched out the German coinage sometimes well other times averagely and then either painted, like mine, or added paper awards. Same with the two instruction panels. Mine had typed out yellow paper instructions that at least was back lit.