Bolts to look old

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jimmycowman

Bolts to look old

Post by jimmycowman »

How do you make new galvanized bolts to look old, i.e. take the galvanized off and look slightly rusty? I'm doing a machine up and new bolts would look wrong !PUZZLED!
gameswat

Re: bolts to look old

Post by gameswat »

Hydrochloric acid will do the trick to strip galvanising, just use it outside as the vapours are bad. Then a wash in water, then dip in a rust converter (I prefer a clear one with Oxalic acid) to stop further rusting. Then i clear coat my bolts with a spray can. Or sometimes i use a brown rust convetor we have here in Aust called Fertan, it will blacken any bare metal that's rusted, even for only 30 mins. I like to use this when I've made a missing metal part for a machine that has old paint or finish. I chip and scrtach it, then wet it for 30 mins or an hour , then Fertan and it looks like very old staining.
raj

Re: bolts to look old

Post by raj »

Spirit of salt contains conc hydrochloric acid ( available from Tool Station) and will destroy virtually any finish if used neat. Good for disolving concrete on brick surfaces...it is extreemly dangerous stuff, chlorine is a by product of the reaction!!