Help with a Duomat

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
jem

Help with a Duomat

Post by jem »

Hi guys,

I've got a very nice Duomat but the instructions either side of the roulette wheel have completely faded to the point where they're unreadable. Would it be possible for someone who's got a Duomat with clear instructions to put it up as big an image as possible so that I can try and recreate them? Secondly, I can't quite see how you get to the instruction panels - surely I haven't got to remove the mech?

Thanks in advance for any help.
raj

Re: Help with a Duomat

Post by raj »

If you contact Harold English ....see ebay 330437774326 for his details he will have these I'm sure. If I remember right, the corner brackets can be removed without too much trouble & the glass removed to get at the instructions, but make sure you have something soft under the door in case it slips!!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jem.......... These are the instruction panels on mine, don't be put off by the quality and the fact they are sideways. I've just done a very quick piccy to see if they are what you want before I go to the hassle of trying to do it properly. They are in German, you may be looking for English translations?

DSCN0733a.jpg

DSCN0734a.jpg

As for getting to them, you need to get the front belly frame off (as pictured in my compost heap)

DSCN0735.jpg

Remove the linkages from the mech to the handle, undo the securing bolts that hold the mech in the case. Slide the mech out and if I remember rightly this gives you access to the screws that go through the case and into the front belly panel. By now you probably have the case face down on a table, so having undone the screws you can just lift the case off it and lessen the risk of dropping the glass. !!YIPPEE!!
jem

Post by jem »

That's EXACTLY what I need - sincere thanks. If you could put up a couple of sharper pictures that would be great or perhaps a PM if that's easier?

Ok, I've now got a very naive question for you: How do you know when you've won? As you well know, the bottom wheel has got the red and black 20PF along with the green area
saying OBEN ANGEZEIGTER BETRAG (whatever that means?) on it. The top wheel has got amounts ranging from 1-DM to 40PF. Is the amount you win a combination of what's
indicated on the top wheel plus the 20PF on the bottom wheel or just a case of matching black with black or red with red or something else? And whats the green panel on the bottom
wheel all about?

As you've most probably now gathered, I'm only just getting to grips with this machine. I'm sure if I asked my four year old grandson how it worked he'd show me straight away :HaHa:

At the moment, I don't have to put any money in the slot. I just turn the handle and off it goes. There's an arrow on the front of the machine with the word PENNY on it so I'm assuming
that it takes one as the slot on the side is big enough. However, when I do put an old penny in the slot it falls through to the beginning of the chute but no further? To be honest I doesn't
bother me at all as I love playing with it just as it is but I suppose there will come a time when I want it to work as it should.

I just can't understand why there's so much adverse bias towards these machines? The craftsmanship in the case and the way the mech feels, looks, and works seems as though it could
have been put together by BMW themselves. Just my opinion of course !!THUMBSX2!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

OBEN ANGEZEIGTER BETRAG means "AMOUNT SHOWN ABOVE" - in other words, when the roulette ball lands on the green sector, the game pays the value indicated by the arrow in the wheel above. The black and red sectors pay two coins, all other positions lose.
Attachments
duomat.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Okey Dokey ............. I'll try first to scan them in by placing the scanner up against the front of the machine. If the mirrored front confuses it (it confuses me :burp: ) I'll strip it down and get the slips of paper out to scan individually.

We can then post them on the Resources page. This might take a day or two as SWMBO has a list of "round the house" task-ettes awaiting my attention :#:

So bear with me I shall get it done.

When you say the coin falls through to the beginning of the chute but no further, are you saying it exits the machine via the coin return, the payout tray or that it sticks inside the mechanism?
jem

Post by jem »

Many thanks for your help chaps.

Putting your scanner up against the machine sounds a bit drastic to me and I'd hate to put you to all the trouble of taking your machine apart - please don't go to all that trouble.

Just a close-up photo would be more than adequate thanks. I work in a studio in an Ad Agency so I won't have any trouble duplicating it.

Sincere thanks once again.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

No problem Jem, my digital camera is crude, basic and made of Lego.

That and the fact that my hands shake due to drinking bottles of Toilet Duck laced with Brasso every day doesn't help much.
This is me hosting The Teddy Bears' picnic in the park for St Julian's Orphanage. Taken in happier days; I have to admit that things have gone a little awry for me since those innocent days.

drunk-park-bench.jpg

I'll get back to you when I can remember what it was I promised I'd do for you............ !THUMBS!
jem

Post by jem »

It's the Brasso that makes you feel like that! You shouldn't mix them :tut Just stick to drinking the toilet Duck and you'll be fine. !THUMBS!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You have mail :cool:
john t peterson

Post by john t peterson »

I recognize that Yoga position; it's the rarer form of "Down Dog" known as "Dog Down." :lol:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Jem.............. you have more mail. :o

....... and I've just found this.......
http://www.automatix-club.de/index.php? ... 6&Itemid=2

If no good I'll try Doff's camera when she gets home, hers is from Toys R Us mine is only Fisher Price.
jem

Post by jem »

Ooooo, just check out those other machines too. Haven't seen those before!

Well there's a good image of the left hand side instructions - just need to know what the very tiny print is by the figures and the right hand instructions as well. We'll we're getting there and I really appreciate all the help.
coppinpr

What a great looking mech!

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - site admin

Having just finished a Jennings and before that a Mills Jewel. I decided to have a go at something different. So I pulled out a Duo-Mat I've had for a little while and stripped it right down. I took out the mech and put it to one side. Later I thought what a great looking mech, you could display it just as it is, don't you agree?

duo2.jpg

duo1.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: what a great looking mech!

Post by badpenny »

A superb piece of engineering I agree ..... don't break the glass on the front of the case, you'll never replace it and might have to end up displaying it like that.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Bought the machine from Glasgow for less than £100, had it couriered to London for £25 and thanks to the seller's packing it arrived all in one piece with a near perfect glass. It's very dirty and I'm really looking forward to working on it. I do need to replace the numbers round the top wheel. Anyone know the correct numbers and their order? I know most but a couple are totally lost.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

If no one comes up with it sooner, I'm picking mine up next weekend and moving it so can photo the face for you, instead of the kettle I'll try the food whisk.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I agree... these are superbly designed mechs.
Attachments
duonumbers.jpg
raj

Re: What a great looking mech!

Post by raj »

Great machine! When you have finished it, you might want to sell the photos for £50 on ebay!......see http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300662707467? ... 1438.l2649 !!YABBADABBA!!
coppinpr

Duo-mat, new roulette wheel paper

Post by coppinpr »

Topic merged - site admin

I'm working on a Duo-Mat. The mech is in fine condition, as is the glass, but the case and playfield are in a bad way, so I decided to re-make the playfield background on my PC.
Here is the result. If anyone thinks they are good enough and want a set I can do both German and the English set in the photo at cost.

new background.jpg

As was

old surround.jpg

new surround.jpg

New