So many questions....

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
toibs

Re: So many questions....

Post by toibs »

Old 10P :
10p 1968 - 1992
28.5mm Diameter 1.85mm Thickness - Made from 75% copper and 25% nickel. The edge is milled.

With the £2 coin things get interesting...
£2 1986 - 1996
28.4mm Diameter 3.1mm Thickness 6.5 grams and are made from 70% copper, 24.5% zinc and 5.5% nickel. The edge is milled with incuse lettering. Due to them being issued as commemoratives, circulation of these coins is uncommon.

£2 1997 -
28.4mm Diameter 2.5mm Thickness 12 grams and are bimetal made from 76% copper, 20% zinc and 4% nickel in the outer ring, and the centre is 25% nickel and 75% copper. The edge is milled with incuse lettering.

Thickness will be your issue.....(as is mine most of the time, especially on a Monday before the first coffee...) ;)
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Yes, I hear thickness is key :tut Carry on Matron... Put this question into the equation, as I notice Powell's conversions to £2 play and assumed they do this based upon the old 10p mech and a configuration of the higher payout slides to accommodate the £2. Rarely get £2 coins in the pocket these days, I think people must collect them, hence not many in circulation. See there is a hopper driven quad reel Aristocrat Regal on fleabay at the moment with 500 old 10p payout. On a £2 coin that's a massive £1k payout, that is, if they would work.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

It is very easy to convert a hopper based machine on the thickness side and that nice quad reel 10p machine (same one used in the Faulty towers bar) could be converted to £2 fairly easily. I have a Kingsway Quadreel already converted to 20p, previously on old 5p.

As you all know, slides are a different story....as you say Mr Powell must make these for modern coinage so may sell all the bits, slides, posts, horizontal guide, also the actual coin acceptor would need adjusting to accept the thicker coin.