Modern Vending Machines and values

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Modern Vending Machines and values

Post by treefrog »

When I say modern, 70's onwards. I don't understand why when produced in their thousands they command such high values. This is especially the case of the Cadbury machines, which I assume were made into the 80's, operating on 20p, yet usually fetch up to £200 or more. I can understand good quality older machines, especially pre-war. Often these modern machines are not in great condition, missing keys or other parts.....I appreciate it is is supply and demand and I guess that they are compact, but just don't get it, to me they were so common 40 years ago, probably far more than anything else collected on this site and reckon a lot survived. Obviously anything chocolate related are most popular and cigarette themes the least, which is hardly surprising.
ilovemyjukebox

Re: Modern Vending Machines and values

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

Its like everything. People buy them because they are associated with a time that they would like to re-capture. The rounded machines made by Cadbury and operated by them are generally
pre-decimal but were converted over. That's why they survived and contiued to be used well into the 80's.
Other machines operating at the time of change over were independently operated and lots were just left when the old penny was no longer.
People want vending machines because they go nicely in their kitchens of hallways and can be used.

Horses for courses I suppose.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

what gets me though is the ones that seem to get the most money are often the least interesting to look at, Ive tried twice to sell the vendor below and cant get a bid at £150, last time i tried i had 50 watchers and still no one bid, yet its a work of art.

cig1.jpg

ilovemyjukebox

Post by ilovemyjukebox »

In my experience wooden machines don't tend to sell as well as the metal ones. Dispensers rather than vending machines.

Again its all about what people remember putting their money into.

The graphics on your machine are probably not as eye catching as some of the gum/chocolate machines and Cig machines can be hard
to sell. I need a coin mech like the one you have in that wooden case to complete a larger floor standing machine. If anyone has one for sale..
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I agree with everything said so far.
And I too have seen the likes of Cadbury single column vendors being offered for starters at £200, but aren't those just chancers? :o
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

literally hundreds of these were found in 1 go in the 1990s. i remember having 60 or 70 of them stashed in the back garden and struggling to get £10 for 1, how times have changed
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

ilovemyjukebox wrote: Again its all about what people remember putting their money into.
Maybe this is why more modern bandits are doing better than older ones in terms of the sale value......Perhaps a better place to put one's money is more modern machines. Lets face it, this hobby is no different to any other, where peoples taste change, what was popular 5 years ago, may not be now..
treefrog

Post by treefrog »