Arcades and Slots

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
treefrog

Arcades and Slots

Post by treefrog »

I finally have bought a copy of Arcades and Slots by Paul Braithwiate and now know why so many of you know what you're talking about. What a great little guide....

I have no idea if he is still around or into the subject any more, but given this book is now 15 years old, I wonder if anyone has considered trying to seek rights to release an updated version. I have noticed a couple of machines I have are not in there and it is one of those items that needs updating.

I think someone mentioned before that perhaps one could do this online on the site with a database of old British slots, especially as we post data on here all the time...looking at the sources to the book a lot of research was done to get this far it would be a shame not to continue the task...
gameswat

Re: Arcades and Slots

Post by gameswat »

Good Grief - you might as well have said you've just learnt how to speak English! Don't know how you've been collecting machines without it all these years. Awesome little book with so much info in there it's crazy. I have a coin-op library of about 60+ books but this is the dirtiest and worn of them all!
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

My copy sure has some sexy machines in it but I wouldn't call it dirty.
Still we're all different. :cool:

ps There'll be no stopping you now treefrog you've already become one of most knowledgeable contributors in a short time ... without it.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

treefrog wrote:I have no idea if he is still around or into the subject any more, but given this book is now 15 years old, I wonder if anyone has considered trying to seek rights to release an updated version
Couldn't agree more Treefrog, a great little book, I obtained my copy soon after purchasing my first machine.

I was speaking to Dave McGladdery a while ago and he was telling me about his input into this publication. There are some of his machines pictured. He also wrote a section for the book. I understand that he knew John Carter quite well. It may be worth asking Dave about the possibility of up-dating or seeking rights.
dpolley

Post by dpolley »

Are there any other books people can recommend?

I will order the above and have also ordered Slot Machines by Dieter Ladwig (no idea if it's any good, was only a couple of quid).
13rebel

Post by 13rebel »

In my opinion 'Automatic Pleasures' by Nic Costa is an absolute must have book. If not available from the Library on this site, there are some on Amazon and sometimes appear on ebay.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

I'd second that and yes, there are a few copies available. :)
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

The order I bought them in .......

Nic Costa
Arcadia
Dieter Ladwig Trilogy
Bill Kurtz

Then the more later editions as they were released.