Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
irreplaceable

Post by irreplaceable »

Hi everybody,
I've got a Domino/Lucky Dice machine, most likely by Jentzsch & Meerz, Leipzig (similar to the one in Nic Costas Automatic Pleasures). Unfortunately I am missing some bits inside. The machine isn't working at the moment. Has anyone got photos / construction plans of the inside mechanism or does anyone know another owner of such a machine so I can check what is missing and renew the missing parts? Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
Rod
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Rod,

Can you be specfic about which part of the mechanism is missing?
I can probably provide some close-ups, although the machine is not very accessible at present. The linkages that animate the dice players will have been removed if your machine has been converted to a Roll-Out-the-Barrel at some time.
irreplaceable

Post by irreplaceable »

Hi,
Actually I do not know what is missing, at least some springs, I think. I will take some pics of the mechanism and post it here. Maybe you can tell what happened.
Thanks
Rod
tivoli

Post by tivoli »

Hi Rod !
Can you use these fotos ?
I find this one here in Copenhagen.
Stig.
Attachments
domino4.jpg
domino3.jpg
domino2.jpg
domino1.jpg
irreplaceable

Post by irreplaceable »

Wow, Stig,

great pics, these will be very useful. Thanks a lot.

Bad thing is: The mechanism of my machine looks pretty different. A lot of parts seem to be missing. :-(

I post some photos I just took.
Attachments
CIMG0248.jpg
CIMG0248.jpg (32.11 KiB) Viewed 15600 times
CIMG0250.JPG
CIMG0250.JPG (33.96 KiB) Viewed 15599 times
CIMG0251.JPG
CIMG0251.JPG (30.33 KiB) Viewed 15599 times
CIMG0253.JPG
CIMG0253.JPG (38.76 KiB) Viewed 15599 times
daveslot

Post by daveslot »

Hi, it looks more or less complete, The linkage is there for the dice shaker (he shakes it when you turn the handle). The main bit for the win (he raises his glass) is there, but the link is missing. This is just a bit of bent wire.
Cheers, Dave.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Yes, it looks 99% complete. Don't worry about the tall tubes and different coin acceptor on Stig's machine. It's an unusual manually loaded version.

Here's a picture with the main mechanism removed to reveal the aforementioned bit of wire that raises the wine glass. It hooks to the end of a shaft at the bottom of the mechanism (shown in the second picture). This rotates when a released payout slide pushes one of the three cams mounted along its length. Also attached to this end should be another wire with a small hammer on the end which simultaneously strikes a bell. I think there should also be a light return spring acting between the left-hand hole on the end and the little peg (visible in the picture). Your bell appears to be missing (see the line drawing in Automatic Pleasures or Stig's picture above). It hangs from the curved black mount visible bottom, right (upper picture). You might get one from an horological supplier.
Attachments
domech3.jpg
domech3.jpg (41.65 KiB) Viewed 15481 times
domech2.jpg
domech2.jpg (62.61 KiB) Viewed 15481 times
irreplaceable

Post by irreplaceable »

Well, guys, thanks so far.

I will try to figure this out and get the missing parts. First of all I will remove the mechanism, divide and clean it, I guess.

Thanks again.

Rod
arrgee

Clement Bandit

Post by arrgee »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Interesting item on ebay at the moment, an English bandit called 'Roll Out The Barrel' item 200112805066.

Has anyone seen this or anything like it before? Or did 'Mr Clement' cobble this together in his back yard in 1958 (or last month) from Jennings or Mills mechanism, if that was possible. Know very little about bandits but this one is peculiar in that there is no arm but a turn knob on the front very similar to an Allwin turn knob. Winning cup looks a bit odd and not '50s. Whole thing seems a little strange.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I have seen the version of the roll out the barrel which is on ebay before. I have also seen even blander versions. There was one cabinet utilised for the roll out the barrel which has character and this is certainly the version to look out for; I will try and post a picture shortly, but the wife has gone out to a birthday do and taken the camera (I know, selfish).
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

Here's a pic of what I'd expect a roll out the barrel to look like. That's not to say that the other cabinets are wrong, but I think this has the look of it being made as a specific machine rather than being a mechanism just housed in a box.
Attachments
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 8188 times
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Last time my wife went to a birthday party with a camera, the prints (this was some time ago) revealed the Chippindales ! Good job I didn't get them printed.

However, back to slotting, the graphics certainly look the same in your photo and the cabinet looks far more convincing than the ebay one and as you say, has the look of being made as a specific machine.
treefrog

Alfred Clement - Treble Pools

Post by treefrog »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

On the topic of Oliver Whales short tie with Alfred Clement, there is, as I am sure most have seen, a reel based allwin-cased machine on Ebay. Someone has kindly suggested this was an Alfred Clement conversion (I assume a forum member)...

Anyone know much about these and how rare they are. I am also intrigued how they were operated and can only assume the handle at the front was connected to the actuator by some kind of mechanism. This would have required quite a few turns unless there was some kind of gearing involved. !PUZZLED!

Interesting machine !!THUMBSX2!!

CLICKY LINK
Attachments
treble-pools.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Alfred Clement - Treble Pools

Post by coin-op »

It's basically a revamped 1920s Domino machine. The mechanism is from a domino and 'X' AND '1' symbols have been glued over the original domino symbols. I imagine the door is original, but I think that the cabinet (wouldn't call it an allwin cabinet) has been altered; over the years I've seen a few cabinet styles from Clement & Whales for this machine. I think it's an interesting fruit machine and in my view is worth a bid at the current price of £293 (and no it's not my machine, and no, I don't know the owner). They aren't 'rare', but you might wait a while to see another (there was one on ebay about a year ago and there was a rough Domino in the MMM auction last year); they aren't exactly common.
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

coin-op wrote:and in my view is worth a bid at the current price of £293
£545 was the winning bid - no, not me.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Looks like the earliest example of a BAR X machine I have ever seen. Remember all the Powell's Jubilee/Aristocrat conversions to O X O' and Bars??
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

As far as I know, all the mechanisms for these were originally made in Leipzig, Germany by Jentzsch & Meerz for Domino or Lucky Dice games (as Coin-op stated). There are many different conversions, most retaining the original door, cabinet and fittings. The example above has a later cabinet. The mechanisms are dissimilar from classic bandits as each reel acts independently. Early versions pay 2D on each winning symbol; later versions pay 2D & 4D (maximum payout being 4 + 4 + 4 = 12D).

I didn't know Clement was responsible for the Treble Pools conversion but, given the football theme and artwork, it makes sense. I was once told that the booze-themed Roll Out the Barrel conversion was by Brenner, but I see the Roll Out the Barrel reel strips were also supplied by Whales.
Attachments
roll-out-barrel.jpg
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

PennyMachines wrote: I was once told that the booze-themed Roll Out the Barrel conversion was by Brenner, but I see the Roll Out the Barrel reel strips were also supplied by Whales.
Some Roll Out the Barrels seem to have a non-Domino mechanism, although the mechanisms do work along the same lines (each column paying out independently). Do you know if these were Brenner mechanisms?
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

That's weird, because after posting this topic I was thinking of the Roll-Out-Barrel and always thought what a lovely simple looking machine this is. I have only seen one come onto the market in the last few years as below, but it has been on my list of wants... I know little about them and assume the mech is a fragile affair looking at the picture... in fact my question around how they were actuated is sort of answered in the picture.... Who made these?
Attachments
73A.jpg
73A.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
73C.jpg
73C.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Coin-op wrote:Do you know if these were Brenner mechanisms?
I think all the mechanisms (including the one in the squat, reboxed game above) were made by J&M in Germany. What do you mean by "a non-Domino mechanism"? There was a fair bit of design variation in the mechanisms over the years. I think Beromat innards have more in common with these than with American bandits.
Perhaps the little Roll Out the Barrel above was a Brenner conversion, but I'm only speculating from what a knowledgeable old-timer told me years ago...