Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Alfred Clement - Treble Pools

Post by coin-op »

PennyMachines wrote: What do you mean by "a non-Domino mechanism"?
I've always assumed that there was one standard mechanism found in Domino machines and that the mechanism which seems to be found in the 'squat' Roll out the barrel was merely a design along those lines made by Brenner. But I may be wrong (that happens quite a lot :!?!: ).
JC

Post by JC »

Come, come girls - no fighting please! I think there are probably several variations of mechs on these Roll Out the Barrel machines. A couple I have have seen in the past certainly didn't appear to be ex Domino - the mechs looked like they'd been cobbled together out of old lawn mower parts.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Post by coin-op »

I can only recall seeing two types of mechanism in machines called Roll out the barrel; one being what I’d call the ‘standard’ Domino mechanism, the other being what you disparagingly refer to as a lawnmower spin-off (shame on you!). Lots of the Roll out the barrels appear to be cased in various sorts of Heath Robinson boxy type cabinets and these always seem to have a ‘standard’ Domino mechanism. These machines seem to be just straight cannibalising of Domino machine mechanisms. However, the version of the Roll out the barrel pictured above seems to have not only a different mechanism to that which I’ve associated with Domino machines, but also has what I’d consider to be a proper, purpose build and designed cabinet… so I’ve always thought of these machines as ‘real’ Roll out the Barrels (i.e. a machine in its own right rather than a conversion).
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

JC wrote:Come, come girls - no fighting please!
We only do it so we can make up afterwards !!LOVERS!!
Any components (or evidence of removed components) associated with the original animated manikins, like the spindle at the lower front of the mech, would settle the question. Unfortunately, the picture's too small to help.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Another footnote on this topic - I notice the little squat Roll Out the Barrel pictured in Baudot's Arcadia: Slot Machines of Europe & America is attributed to the Original Machine Manufacturers (John and Bernard Brenner's company) and is dated 1940. Arcades & Slot Machines also lists it under the same date and company, citing the World's Fair, 13th April 1940.

I've seen several straight Domino to Barrel conversions in the original tall cases and as mentioned Oliver Whales supplied Roll Out the Barrel reel strips.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

A Roll out the Barrel in the States, asking the money and shipping on top perhaps only for the keen, still nice machine and the dark patina and marks around the actuator certainly adds to the look. A small repair on the left side looks to have occurred in the past, also the actuator looks to be made of perhaps Bakelite unlike others being metal.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310403667310? ... 2666wt_952
Attachments
barrel1.jpg
barrel2.jpg
barrel3.jpg
paulbohlmann

Domino / Lucky Dice / Le Juge de Paix

Post by paulbohlmann »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Hi,
I would like to start to "talk about slots" and bring more light into another "Saxony mystery"...
The "Domino" or often called "Lucky Dice"
(I saw a few different discussions here, but I think it's better to start a new one –
we Germans need order & structure).
In Germany this is a really rare machine, The last one was sold on ebay in 2008 for 4900,- Euros
(English version, with 12 times win). I guess there are much more machines in the UK and in France.

Looks like there were different versions and in addition modifications/conversions (Roll Out The Barrel etc.)
There are models with wheels out of wood, and models with reels out of metal.
There seems to be different machines as I found artworks with different spacings (wheelwindow).
21-18,5-21-18,5-21 & 22-26-22-26-22 (w-s-w-s-w / in cm)

There exist two copies of ads:
One with the smaller knob, a simpler award-plan and a pump instead of a clock.
Offered in three versions:
Version A - self-filling - for every "1" and "6" one coin (max 3)
Version B - tubes for token - for every "1" and "6" one token (max 3)
Version C - other combinations & higher wins
23x19x8 inch / 64 x 46 x 20 cm / 18,5 Kg
Somewhere I read that this ad is from 1912

The other one (1928 ?) is with the bigger knob (the winder) ,
a clock and the award-plan for up to 12 times winning. 24x19x8 inch / 60 x 48 x 20 cm

In the literature you find different informations:
Les Machines a Sous - Jean Lemaitre (149) Le Juge de Paix - Jentzsch&Meerz 1912
Alte Münzautomaten (132) Lucky Dice Jentzsch&Meerz 1934
Wenn der Groschen fällt (202) Lucky Dice - Jentzsch und Meerz 1927
Arcadia (85) Domino Bignell (France) 1921 (comment: the automatic magazine dez.1926 says invented by R.C.Bignell)
Automatic Pleasures Costa (208) Domino Jentzsch & Meerz 1928 version (regarding to the ad with the clock)
Antique Slotmachines P.Bach (39) ad Domino 1929 Keystone Nov. (dealer) 1929

In my machine I found that a lot of parts were marked with “J&M” & a sparepart number,
that is really typical for the early Jentzsch & Meerz machines.
I could not find a note regarding to the Domino in the journal “Der Automat” from 1927 to 1938,
and regarding to the Law the Domino could not have been sold in these years in Germany,
as it clearly was a gambling machine without skill (and those were forbidden).
There is another Domino (without Artwork) with wheelstoppers,
this could have been a version for the German market (but I also could not find a note or ad…)

So, after all I forgot my questions…
I will add some pictures (partly from the Internet, sorry when not OK) and stuff,
and be happy If anyone has more infos….

What is original what not ?, who invented ? , is it called "Lucky Dice" because the award plan says ?...

Cheers Marco
Attachments
domino teil.jpg
ad antique slotmachines p.Bach Domino 1929.jpg
domino 2 version.jpg
domino 2 version.jpg (41.68 KiB) Viewed 9041 times
different dominos.jpg
gameswat

Re: Domino / Lucky Dice / Le Juge de Paix

Post by gameswat »

Marco, I've seen a number of these in collections particularly in the US and have had the chance to buy quite a few over the years, but never have. Probably seen at least 15 examples of major conversions by UK operators into Roll out the Barrel, Soccer themed versions, most with new streamlined cases. And also seen approx 12 originals but except for one, every time the figures have been messed with or missing which to me is a major part of the value. They must've been very delicate or maybe jammed the mech from working so were removed in so many cases? At a distance the complete looking versions appeared good, but close up they have all had rather crude figures re-added more recently, but just photocopies. I did come across a stash with at least 5 x unrestored examples with only one almost complete to use as a template for the others. But the owner would only sell them as a group and had paid much money for them in the late '70s in the US. And the thought of all that cash and repetitive labour to sell off the lesser machines just to get the nice example was well beyond my attention span!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Hi Marco, I think you summed up almost everything that is known about the Lucky Dice in your post. I can only add my own observations.

The Lucky Dice has a very cosmopolitan background: invented by an Englishman (Edward Charles Bignell), who was based in France (9, Boulevard du Temple, Paris) but manufactured in Germany (by Jentzsch und Meerz of Leipzig). Bignell was behind some very fine (and desirable) wall machines. As early as 1904 he worked with George Haydon (of Haydon & Urry fame) on an automatic coin payout apparatus (Pat FRD335226), in 1911 with Joseph Soukhostavsky on the "Courses de Longchamp" horse race roulette (Pat FR424379) and in 1929 on "Tivoli Billiards" (Pat GB332881). It seems likely that the first versions of his dice game were made in France and that Bignell then took his design to the famous German manufacturer in order to ramp up production for the UK and American market. The few French examples look early - with the simpler, single payout slides and wooden reels. Perhaps the 1927-8 date was when J&M started to produce them and earlier examples are French made?
9, Boulevard du Temple
9, Boulevard du Temple

The Lucky Dice is certainly less rare in the UK, but almost always sans figures and with later graphics. Of those in my mosaic below, only one has survived unmolested (second from top, left) and I think that one's in Germany. Several were converted back in the 1980s using photocopied artwork which reproduces a distinctive stain across the top of the background (marked in red in the pic). Colour photocopying was not as good then as it is today and they lack the fine detail of the originals. In the 1990s a hand painted copy of the artwork was made and photographic prints of this were used to convert back a few more. This artwork was more vibrant than the earlier photocopies but the artist also reproduced the top stain. These revamped-revamps often lack the little playing card corner spandrels, fancy brass decorative bottom trim and the linkages to animate the figures. These linkages are robust but passive - I doubt they would foul the main mechanism, as Gameswat suggested. I think it's more likely the overt gambling theme was a problem and perhaps the Edwardian gents began to look a little old fashioned for modern tastes.
Reproduced staining
Reproduced staining
stain.jpg (10.15 KiB) Viewed 8939 times

The reels had to be spaced further apart on the later, higher payout version (paying 2D on Ones and 4D on Sixes), to make room for the extra payout detecting levers. The three payout tubes had two coin slides below them, each of which was the thickness of two pennies. This meant that the reels no longer aligned properly with the apertures originally drawn on the artwork. To overcome this, a brass plate with three suitably spaced openings was pinned over the top of the picture. The heavier mechanism also required the larger cranking handle to operate it.

As for what to call the game, it doesn't really have an official English name because, as you said, although it was made in Germany, it wasn't sold there. There's no name on the main graphic and the instruction card often just shows the payouts. Although the American distributor, Keystone Manufacturing Co. of Philadelphia called it "Domino" in their advert, that doesn't make sense, because the game being played is clearly dice. But I think it may have been Keystone who christened it "Lucky Dice", because the payout card they produced had that name on it. Besides, the London Automatic Machine Co. (originally Handan-Ni) was already marketing a game called "Domino".
Handan-Ni Domino
Handan-Ni Domino

Many years ago, I "reclaimed" one of these games (top left of mosaic, below). It had no artwork or instructions, so I made up a card using Letraset, based on the machine in Jean Claude Baudot's Arcadia book. I used the name "Domino" because that's what I'd been told it was called! Copies of this card have been used by others.
domino-instruct.jpg
domino-instruct.jpg (7.99 KiB) Viewed 8939 times

Maybe one of our French visitors could explain why they called it "Le Juge de Paix" (Justice of the Peace).

I've not found any versions with skill stops, so I think, as you surmised Marco, these must have been for German consumption. "The Mexiko" (bottom right of mosaic) is in Berlin.
Attachments
dominos.jpg
paulbohlmann

Post by paulbohlmann »

Thank you both!
A few new parts of the puzzle...

I guess Mr.Bignell must have loved the French way of living?
Otherwise there should be three hooligans with each a glass of Guinness on the artwork.

!!CHEERS!!
"The Mexiko" (bottom right of mosaic) is in Berlin.
There is also one here in my office,
but the Mexiko was built by "Fr. West Automatenbau" Leipzig in 1932. I compared both -
doesn't fit, there is a slightly different technic and also the wheels have a other diameter (bigger).
The maximal payout is 14 times.
Pictures attached...

Regards Marco.
Attachments
mexiko innen .jpg
mexiko .jpg
Mexiko West.jpg
Mexiko West.jpg (25.78 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Interesting thread this one.

It refers me back to my machine Roll Out The Barrel, and the questions I was asking about it a year and a bit ago.
Rolloutthebarrel1.jpg

Rolloutthebarrel2.jpg

The case although very substantial with a heavy metal door to the rear is clearly a conversion. It has two coin entries accepting old pennies and small tokens each of which play the machine. The pennies all track to the cash box, it only pays out tokens.
The mechanism is clock controlled and there is a fourth reel to the left which automatically shows you the value of your winnings.
The machine pays out as each reel stops - it doesn't wait until all three have stopped, likewise the fourth reel advances as each payout occurs.

It's my intention to dispose of this probably at Coventry so for the sake of accuracy in the catalogue any further information about this one would be helpful.

Regards

badpenny
paulbohlmann

Post by paulbohlmann »

Hi,

That is very interesting....
It looks quite clear like a conversion from the Omega.
The Omega was first introduced in 1929 as "Waren-Automat",
and then later called "Omega". Produced by Jentzsch & Meerz.
In that time there were a lot of American slots imported,
so the German manufacturers tried to build their own bandits.
There were different versions, also one with a Jackpot.
The first version had a 3 payout-mechanism, the later ones only 1.
All with a Mint-Vendor. Your one was the Model A.
Unfortunately, "was" .....

Regards Marco.
Attachments
Omega3.jpg
Omega.jpg
Omega.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
Omega2.jpg
Omega2.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 7775 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

pennymachines wrote:Maybe one of our French visitors could explain why they called it "Le Juge de Paix" (Justice of the Peace).
Actually, I see Baudot explains this:
Baudot wrote:The French name for the machine... is derived from a popular game commonly played in French cafes at the beginning of the century and is nothing to do with dispensing justice.
He also says the game was distributed by the Domino company in the USA. Was this another name for the Keystone Manufacturing Co.? Is this how a Dice game became known as the Domino? One answer and two more questions...
lepingouinmecanique

Post by lepingouinmecanique »

Hi there, here is the French visitor !
Very interesting topic !
"Juge de paix" means literally "judge of peace" but I guess you will say something like "magistrate"?

Here is a scan from an original ad printed in Leipzig the town of the Jentzsch & Meerz company.
Copied to Resources - Site Admin.
Attachments
JENTZSCH & MEERZ - DOMINO AD.JPG
JENTZSCH & MEERZ - DOMINO AD - VERSO.JPG
Last edited by lepingouinmecanique on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulbohlmann

Post by paulbohlmann »

Hi le pingouin,

Where do you know from that the ad is from 1912 ?

Pennymachines mentioned that "Le Juge de Paix" was a popular game, do you know the game or rules?

We have cards (applications), dices (wheels) and Domino in the name... very strange.....

Regards Marco.
lepingouinmecanique

Post by lepingouinmecanique »

paulbohlmann wrote:Where do you know from that the ad is from 1912 ?
Well, I dated the ad 1912 on my website to illustrate the date of first production of the game, not the ad.
In fact I can't give a date of the ad I have... the only thing I'm sure is that I bought the ad from a grandson of a distributor in Marseilles who was in activity in the '30s.
lepingouinmecanique wrote:Pennymachines mentioned that "Le Juge de Paix" was a popular game, do you know the game or rules?
It is a countertop dice game (see picture). It is nothing special, but it was name in slang "le juge de paix" because once you have pressed the button, the result has to be accepted by the players who are gambling since the machine is fair to everyone as a judgement.
Attachments
JUGE DE PAIX.jpg
arrgee

Roll out the Barrel on ebay

Post by arrgee »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I think whoever converted this drank too much Red Barrel ! !WEIRD!
Attachments
04 roll out the barrel ebay.jpg
arrgee

Re: Roll out the Barrel on ebay

Post by arrgee »

On second thoughts, no amount of Red Barrel could have got you intoxicated :burp:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That took you 3 minutes to come to your senses.

Who remembers "I want me special Ethel" ????
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Badpenny wrote:That took you 3 minutes to come to your senses
I was busy drinking Watneys Starlight in order to remember how bad some beer was in those days.