Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Domino / Lucky Dice / Le Juge de Paix

Post by badpenny »

Interesting thread this one.

It refers me back to my machine Roll Out The Barrel, and the questions I was asking about it a year and a bit ago.
Rolloutthebarrel1.jpg

Rolloutthebarrel2.jpg

The case although very substantial with a heavy metal door to the rear is clearly a conversion. It has two coin entries accepting old pennies and small tokens each of which play the machine. The pennies all track to the cash box, it only pays out tokens.
The mechanism is clock controlled and there is a fourth reel to the left which automatically shows you the value of your winnings.
The machine pays out as each reel stops - it doesn't wait until all three have stopped, likewise the fourth reel advances as each payout occurs.

It's my intention to dispose of this probably at Coventry so for the sake of accuracy in the catalogue any further information about this one would be helpful.

Regards

badpenny
paulbohlmann

Post by paulbohlmann »

Hi,

That is very interesting....
It looks quite clear like a conversion from the Omega.
The Omega was first introduced in 1929 as "Waren-Automat",
and then later called "Omega". Produced by Jentzsch & Meerz.
In that time there were a lot of American slots imported,
so the German manufacturers tried to build their own bandits.
There were different versions, also one with a Jackpot.
The first version had a 3 payout-mechanism, the later ones only 1.
All with a Mint-Vendor. Your one was the Model A.
Unfortunately, "was" .....

Regards Marco.
Attachments
Omega3.jpg
Omega.jpg
Omega.jpg (37.28 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
Omega2.jpg
Omega2.jpg (38.9 KiB) Viewed 7776 times
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

pennymachines wrote:Maybe one of our French visitors could explain why they called it "Le Juge de Paix" (Justice of the Peace).
Actually, I see Baudot explains this:
Baudot wrote:The French name for the machine... is derived from a popular game commonly played in French cafes at the beginning of the century and is nothing to do with dispensing justice.
He also says the game was distributed by the Domino company in the USA. Was this another name for the Keystone Manufacturing Co.? Is this how a Dice game became known as the Domino? One answer and two more questions...
lepingouinmecanique

Post by lepingouinmecanique »

Hi there, here is the French visitor !
Very interesting topic !
"Juge de paix" means literally "judge of peace" but I guess you will say something like "magistrate"?

Here is a scan from an original ad printed in Leipzig the town of the Jentzsch & Meerz company.
Copied to Resources - Site Admin.
Attachments
JENTZSCH & MEERZ - DOMINO AD.JPG
JENTZSCH & MEERZ - DOMINO AD - VERSO.JPG
Last edited by lepingouinmecanique on Fri Aug 10, 2012 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulbohlmann

Post by paulbohlmann »

Hi le pingouin,

Where do you know from that the ad is from 1912 ?

Pennymachines mentioned that "Le Juge de Paix" was a popular game, do you know the game or rules?

We have cards (applications), dices (wheels) and Domino in the name... very strange.....

Regards Marco.
lepingouinmecanique

Post by lepingouinmecanique »

paulbohlmann wrote:Where do you know from that the ad is from 1912 ?
Well, I dated the ad 1912 on my website to illustrate the date of first production of the game, not the ad.
In fact I can't give a date of the ad I have... the only thing I'm sure is that I bought the ad from a grandson of a distributor in Marseilles who was in activity in the '30s.
lepingouinmecanique wrote:Pennymachines mentioned that "Le Juge de Paix" was a popular game, do you know the game or rules?
It is a countertop dice game (see picture). It is nothing special, but it was name in slang "le juge de paix" because once you have pressed the button, the result has to be accepted by the players who are gambling since the machine is fair to everyone as a judgement.
Attachments
JUGE DE PAIX.jpg
arrgee

Roll out the Barrel on ebay

Post by arrgee »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I think whoever converted this drank too much Red Barrel ! !WEIRD!
Attachments
04 roll out the barrel ebay.jpg
arrgee

Re: Roll out the Barrel on ebay

Post by arrgee »

On second thoughts, no amount of Red Barrel could have got you intoxicated :burp:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

That took you 3 minutes to come to your senses.

Who remembers "I want me special Ethel" ????
arrgee

Post by arrgee »

Badpenny wrote:That took you 3 minutes to come to your senses
I was busy drinking Watneys Starlight in order to remember how bad some beer was in those days.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

This is true - I once went to a pub near Hampton Court (no comments please) that specialized in selling hundreds of different beers; the guy next to me at the bar asked the barman for a pint of Watneys Red Barrel and the barman said, "sorry, we only sell beer".
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In the 80s I was the youngest licensee of Dirty Dick's Pub in Bishopsgate London. My assistant manager Ian was a Scotsman.
One day I witnessed this ........

Yuppie clicking fingers - "Barman!"
Ian - "Good afternoon sir, what can I ...."
Yuppie cutting him short - "Can I have a Chivas and Coke?"
Ian - ".... no ...." Moves down the bar "Next please?"
sweetmeats

Cigarette paying Domino machine

Post by sweetmeats »

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

At the time I bought the wishiwell fortune teller I was asked if I wanted anything else, so I also bought a couple of small items and in conversation mention was made of a Domino machine. He had brought it about ten years before from the widow of a collector who had taken it apart to restore and died before finishing the task. He also had never found the time to do. I must admit I was not that keen as I already own a Domino bought over 20 years ago and really did not want/need a new project. He then mentioned that it was not ANY domino but a rare version that paid out cigarettes, not coins, for each 1 or 6. Curiosity prompted me to ask to see it, so from under a table he withdrew a box of parts, a stripped case, the playfield missing the arms. He said he had no idea if it was complete but asked such a reasonable price I could not leave it. When I got home and sorted it, it seemed to be more or less complete. Below are pictures of what I bought. I have now had the case polished and have sent the metal parts to be re-nickelled. I will add further pictures of progress in due course. Has anyone heard or own a similar machine?
Attachments
DSCF0382.JPG
DSC01097.JPG
DSC01096.JPG
DSC01095.JPG
DSC01094.JPG
DSC01093.JPG
DSC01092.JPG
DSC01091.JPG
sweetmeats

Re: Cigarette paying domino machine

Post by sweetmeats »

Update to earlier post. The restoration is progressing well - see new pictures. Amazingly, the machine is virtually complete from a 'box of parts', missing only part of the coin slide and some connecting wire. Only major missing part is the cage to hold extra cigarettes. Does any one have an idea of this detail or better still a photo of one I could copy or adapt? Interestingly, the conversion has reduced to just one 'winning' one or six on each reel, so the chances of winning a single cigarette are about one in five. In 1930 (the date I estimate the conversion) a packet of 10 would have cost a maximum of 6d, so a good return for the operator!
Attachments
IMG_0510.JPG
IMG_0507.JPG
speedwell

Re: Cigarette paying Domino machine

Post by speedwell »

Restoration's looking great and a great find too. Are you going to detail here any of the tasty looking machines in the background.......?!!!
clubconsoles

Post by clubconsoles »

speedwell wrote:Restoration's looking great and a great find too. Are you going to detail here any of the tasty looking machines in the background.......?!!!
I thought that, what an Awesome collection of Quality machines.
probably in the US??
bod

Post by bod »

Strange. The unrestored machine parts have black dominos with white spots and the restored version has white dominos with black spots. Musta scrubbed pretty hard...
sweetmeats

Post by sweetmeats »

The only reason the dice have been painted black on white is because I already had a normal payout coin domino so thought it would make a contrast for the new machine.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

Lovely machine and restoration and as mentioned a collection beyond my dreams, I was trying to guess, football, cricket and golf, the three ironclads, fantastic !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!! !!THUMBSX2!!
treefrog

Re: Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

Post by treefrog »

Topic merged - Site Admin.

Nice little project on ebay earlier in the week which finished for what seemed a cheap £360 for one of these, "Roll Out the Barrel"

The last Elephant had an original Domino and Treble Pools both finishing on more than a grand than this machine. Looks like it needs some work, certainly the original coin chute is missing. Also this cabinet is not like any of the other variations and wonder if not original to the machine with the slab top and base.....

I just didn't fancy a long drive to Devon :#:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/old-penny-mac ... true&rt=nc
Attachments
barrel1.jpg
barrel2.jpg