American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coin-op
Forum Moderator

Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

Postby coin-op » Fri Jun 01, 2007 8:58 am

Here's a pic of what I'd expect a roll out the barrel to look like. That's not to say that the other cabinets are wrong, but I think this has the look of it being made as a specific machine rather than being a mechanism just housed in a box.
IMG_0607.JPG
IMG_0607.JPG (53.43 KiB) Viewed 3012 times

arrgee

Domino, Lucky Dice, Juge de Paix, Roll Out the Barrel etc.

Postby arrgee » Fri Jun 01, 2007 2:40 pm

Last time my wife went to a birthday party with a camera, the prints (this was some time ago) revealed the Chippindales ! Good job I didn't get them printed.

However, back to slotting, the graphics certainly look the same in your photo and the cabinet looks far more convincing than the ebay one and as you say, has the look of being made as a specific machine.

treefrog

Alfred Clement - Treble Pools

Postby treefrog » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 pm

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

On the topic of Oliver Whales short tie with Alfred Clement, there is, as I am sure most have seen, a reel based allwin-cased machine on Ebay. Someone has kindly suggested this was an Alfred Clement conversion (I assume a forum member)...

Anyone know much about these and how rare they are. I am also intrigued how they were operated and can only assume the handle at the front was connected to the actuator by some kind of mechanism. This would have required quite a few turns unless there was some kind of gearing involved. !PUZZLED!

Interesting machine !!THUMBSX2!!

CLICKY LINK
treble-pools.jpg

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Re: Alfred Clement - Treble Pools

Postby coin-op » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:57 pm

It's basically a revamped 1920s Domino machine. The mechanism is from a domino and 'X' AND '1' symbols have been glued over the original domino symbols. I imagine the door is original, but I think that the cabinet (wouldn't call it an allwin cabinet) has been altered; over the years I've seen a few cabinet styles from Clement & Whales for this machine. I think it's an interesting fruit machine and in my view is worth a bid at the current price of £293 (and no it's not my machine, and no, I don't know the owner). They aren't 'rare', but you might wait a while to see another (there was one on ebay about a year ago and there was a rough Domino in the MMM auction last year); they aren't exactly common.

arrgee

Postby arrgee » Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:28 am

coin-op wrote:and in my view is worth a bid at the current price of £293
£545 was the winning bid - no, not me.

malcymal

Postby malcymal » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:31 pm

Looks like the earliest example of a BAR X machine I have ever seen. Remember all the Powell's Jubilee/Aristocrat conversions to O X O' and Bars??

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:34 pm

As far as I know, all the mechanisms for these were originally made in Leipzig, Germany by Jentzsch & Meerz for Domino or Lucky Dice games (as Coin-op stated). There are many different conversions, most retaining the original door, cabinet and fittings. The example above has a later cabinet. The mechanisms are dissimilar from classic bandits as each reel acts independently. Early versions pay 2D on each winning symbol; later versions pay 2D & 4D (maximum payout being 4 + 4 + 4 = 12D).

I didn't know Clement was responsible for the Treble Pools conversion but, given the football theme and artwork, it makes sense. I was once told that the booze-themed Roll Out the Barrel conversion was by Brenner, but I see the Roll Out the Barrel reel strips were also supplied by Whales.
roll-out-barrel.jpg

coin-op
Forum Moderator

Postby coin-op » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:54 pm

PennyMachines wrote: I was once told that the booze-themed Roll Out the Barrel conversion was by Brenner, but I see the Roll Out the Barrel reel strips were also supplied by Whales.
Some Roll Out the Barrels seem to have a non-Domino mechanism, although the mechanisms do work along the same lines (each column paying out independently). Do you know if these were Brenner mechanisms?

treefrog

Postby treefrog » Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:43 pm

That's weird, because after posting this topic I was thinking of the Roll-Out-Barrel and always thought what a lovely simple looking machine this is. I have only seen one come onto the market in the last few years as below, but it has been on my list of wants... I know little about them and assume the mech is a fragile affair looking at the picture... in fact my question around how they were actuated is sort of answered in the picture.... Who made these?
73A.jpg
73A.jpg (20.29 KiB) Viewed 2623 times
73C.jpg
73C.jpg (29.02 KiB) Viewed 2623 times

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Feb 03, 2011 2:27 pm

Coin-op wrote:Do you know if these were Brenner mechanisms?
I think all the mechanisms (including the one in the squat, reboxed game above) were made by J&M in Germany. What do you mean by "a non-Domino mechanism"? There was a fair bit of design variation in the mechanisms over the years. I think Beromat innards have more in common with these than with American bandits.
Perhaps the little Roll Out the Barrel above was a Brenner conversion, but I'm only speculating from what a knowledgeable old-timer told me years ago...