Ainsworth Aristocrat Merrie England 3 reels EM

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
easternpinman

Ainsworth Aristocrat Merrie England 3 reels EM

Post by easternpinman »

Hi everybody
I found you from US newlifegames.net forum where I am active with some IGTs reel and old Bally EM reel.
I've got from ebay Germany a rare machine, Ainsworth Aristocrat Merrie England. Very hard to find any info on web. I suppose here someone has had this machine. This machine was operated also here in the 70s that's why I grab it.

Problem is that is has no hopper or whatever payout mech should have, the spin reels motor is burned, machine was hacked as was added a lamp where there was supposed to be a hopper and the lamp is connected with an industrial relay. Probably was used for play without payout, only spin reels and bulb is for lighting reels. Here are some pics.
Maybe somebody can direct me, I'd like to restore this old stuff.
The name of the machine seems to be ME2.
Attachments
2.jpg
4.jpg
1.jpg
3.jpg
6.jpg
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Ainsworth Aristocrat Merrie England 3 reels EM

Post by badpenny »

Welcome to the site, great to have you on board.

I'm sorry I can't help you, although others will be along.

However I am fascinated to learn that Ainsworth were manufacturing in The UK, I didn't know that.
The address shown used to be an industrial estate and is now occupied by a DIY superstore.

Hang on until someone with an Electro Mechanical brain pops in.

Best Regards

Badpenny !!CHEERS!!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And all I can add is a digression: the Merrie England bar opened on Blackpool North Pier in 1960 and it was also the name of a huge amusement arcade at Ramsgate, later known as 'Pleasurama' and run by Jimmy Godden until it was destroyed by an arson attack in 1998. This Williams Jungle pinball was found stored in the nearby cliff-side tunnels: http://thanetunderground.blogspot.co.uk ... rvent.html
Attachments
Just how we like to find 'em?
Just how we like to find 'em?
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I can imagine the pinball turning up on ebay: "haven't had the time to finish, make excellent investment, needs some TLC by enthusiast".
special when lit

Post by special when lit »

"Worked when put into storage."
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Selling it for a friend!
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Returning to topic: Ainsworth Consolidated Industries (Great Britain) Limited was incorporated on 15th August 1960 and dissolved on 30th June 1983.
Attachments
merrie-england.jpg
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I have, somewhere, a complete original circuit diagram for a Merrie England. One of those old blueprints that used to stink of ammonia when they were fresh. Let me see if I can find it for you. The Merrie England did have a very nice compact hopper, but I have no idea where you would find a replacement. If it has a credit counter I'm sure you could convert it for credit play by adding a pulse generator where the hopper should be - maybe the score motor out of an EM pinball.
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Mr EasternPinman, it's your lucky day - you should probably buy a lottery ticket. My wife says I'm the world's untidiest person and she wonders how I ever find anything, but it only took me about ten minutes to lay my hands on that diagram. I've had it nearly 30 years and knew it would come in useful one day.

I took a hi-res picture of it that is so large, I won't push my luck with Mr PennyMachines by uploading it here, though if he thinks it's worth hosting it as a resource he is of course welcome to download it and put it on the site. I attached a thumbnail (1/5 actual size). You can pick up the real thing here. I'll leave it up through the end of August.

Since you don't have a hopper you'll be needing to simulate one and make it pay to credits. If you can't work out from the diagram how to do it, drop me a note, I can help. Note, all the electrics is 110V, though at least it's isolated from the mains.
Attachments
Small version
Small version
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

I spent a few minutes thinking about it and can see an easy way to make it pay to credits, using the existing change cam timer and rewiring the tilt relay - no extra parts needed.
easternpinman

Post by easternpinman »

Hi Operator Bell it seems you are the guardian angel for Merrie England, thanks a lot !

I have "lost the winning to the lottery this weekend", there was here a 3,5 million euro stake if it were an email announcement of the new replies to this thread I should have been more quick :cool:
and catch the lottery also !SAINT!

Anyway, it is funny that I have started from NLG forum USA to get into the motherland of Ainsworth Aristocrat and you reply from Las Vegas USA... That means in the end that this machine deserves a future life.

Of course I am interested in details of how to wire the credits... I suppose that the machine has run this way 'till the reels motor was burned out. I will PM you for that.
Nevertheless a big thanks to this forum also and I will post the final photos with the refurbished machine.
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

Just like to add my !!THUMBSX2!! to OB for his amazing contribution. Honestly thought this one was beyond our ken. The scope of arcane knowledge on this forum never fails to impress. !WOW!
easternpinman

Post by easternpinman »

This is for Bart from Holland ( I hope you follow this topic )

Bart I cannot answer you over my inbox from here because is empty so contact me at
dr.pinball@gmail.com
and I will forward you the info from Operator Belle and also his contact in Vegas HE IS THE MAN !!!

Marius
www.pinball.ro

I am asked to fix a merrie england machine for a friend of my. He directed
me to this webside only the electrical scheems arent online anymore can you
help me to get them?

greetings for holland,

Bart
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

Mr Pennymachines kindly placed it in the Resources section, here:

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3067

As I keep telling my wife, "So what if I haven't touched it for 40 years? You never know when it will come in useful. If I throw it out, two people will probably ask for it next week!"