American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

The last of the escalators

Postby coppinpr » Fri Sep 07, 2012 7:43 pm

I'm working on three very late Sega Continentals and two of them must be what I guess were the last machines fitted with full escalators. The third machine, although dated the same year (1966) has an electric coin entry mech. I've never seen these late escs before and it's clear when you take them apart that they were much more complicated than the original full Mills esc. They might not have jammed so much, but I bet they went wrong more often. Took me ages to work out why the first one wouldn't return to the start position. Still they're interesting and I've never seen them mentioned on the forum. Can they be fitted to older machines?
esc2.jpg
esc1.jpg

treefrog

Re: The last of the escalators

Postby treefrog » Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:10 pm

Suspect the escalator versions are earlier than the S10 coin mechanism, which replaced a lot of earlier, less reliable coin mechanisms and is still in use today, with a few electronic bits. May also depend on the model.

I have a few of the Continental escalators and they do not swap straight with a traditional Sega/Mills device, but parts in them are reusable.