Is it an allwins or not?

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
cresta2007

Is it an allwins or not?

Post by cresta2007 »

I have at long last got my hands on a penny arcade machine for me to restore but I'm not sure if it is what I assumed it was... It was advertised as an Allwins. Firstly, instead of a totally wooden cabinet, the door and mechanism are mounted with hinges into a steel cabinet. The cabinet has a front surround made of wood that is extremely well made and perfectly fitted... The back flash is bright yellow (well it was) and has the wording "THE EASY FOUR". One old penny play, 7 ball chutes, 4 win, 3 lose. Winning chute pays out 4 old pennies on turning the payout knob. Is this an allwins or some other make? Any information would be most appreciated.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Is it an alwins or not, help

Post by badpenny »

Hi cresta2007 and welcome to Pennymachines.

Post a photograph or three and you'll most likely get an in depth tutorial on who made it, when and if he had chips for dinner last night.

However, an Allwin is not a make - it's a generic name given to cover wall machines that let you flick a ball bearing around a track in order to try and land it in a winning cup.

So photos inside and out please. The chances are that one of our experts already has an idea what it might be from your description anyway.

Badpenny
JC

Post by JC »

Cresta, what you have there is a 1930s Hawtins allwin, made in Blackpool. I'm guessing you aquired it from Ebay? I saw it a while back; not sure if I've ever seen another exactly like it, as Hawtins machines generally have a LWWWWWL gallery.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

Is this an allwins or some other make
The boys have, as usual, gone to great depths to correctly ID your machine but perhaps missed the basic question in which you may have the wrong idea. Allwin is a TYPE of machine and not a MAKE. Yours is clearly an allwin made by Hawtins.
JC

Post by JC »

BP already said that:
badpenny wrote:However, an Allwin is not a make - it's a generic name........
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

I see that now, I think I nodded off half way through his post - my fault, not his.... really :NBG:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I know what you mean Paul, my attention used to drift at school when big words were being used. :lol:
cresta2007

Re: Is it an allwins or not?

Post by cresta2007 »

Thanks for the info "bad penny". I suppose I should have uploaded photos but it's too late now. The machine is completely stripped, awaiting restoration. Mechanic and cosmetic wise that will not be a problem. The only thing I think I will have trouble with is replacing the backflash. Having a bit of a problem finding a somebody who can replicate it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

It's a pleasure, it's what we do here.

Does it look like this?

Badpenny
cresta2007

Post by cresta2007 »

Hi "badpenny". The photo you uploaded is exactly what I have. Thank you very much for your help. ps, I have now restored the machine and it is working great. I had to make a backflash myself and a new cash door. I managed to find a piece of old wood that when sanded down matched the door exaclty.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

Good oh! ...... treat yourself to a new laptop matey, that took 18 months to get through ..... :lol:
pennymachines
Site Admin

Post by pennymachines »

And as in the photo BP posted, it should really be a bow-fronted steel cash door.