Two interesting photos

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Two interesting photos

Post by coppinpr »

Couple of interesting photos - the first looks very old with a nice looking Crystal gazer in the background, the second is one of the many pictures of machines being destroyed when they were made illegal, but this one is especially depressing as they are all the same, all desirable and all gone.
Can our USA members tell me why American law makers always seem to follow the same pattern, convinced there right to the point of eradicating something (booze, slots etc.) only to do a complete turn around a few years later by eradicating the original law. !PUZZLED
Attachments
slots.JPG
broke slots.JPG
john t peterson

Re: two interesting photos

Post by john t peterson »

Can our USA members tell me why American law makers always seem to follow the same pattern, convinced there right to the point of eradicating something (booze,slots ect) only to do a complete turn around a few years later by eradicating the original law !PUZZLED!
You're kidding, right? Have you taken a look at our political landscape lately? We can't agree on anything, including the day of the week. To think there was a time when the nation was of one mind to do anything, including outlawing anything fun. Even the Puritans are weeping.

J Peterson
American in spite of it all
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

Hi Paul, I like the photo with the Whirlwind game/games, just trying to make out where it is??? looks to be British /\UK/\ as I can just make out the 6d sign on the end of the table !PUZZLED!
anyone know where it was taken?? :D
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

coppinpr wrote:Can our USA members tell me why American law makers always seem to follow the same pattern, convinced there right to the point of eradicating something (booze,slots ect) only to do a complete turn around a few years later by eradicating the original law !PUZZLED
It's quite simple, really. The politicians posing with sledgehammers in the picture were not getting their proper cut of the profits. Once they were properly compensated - or, in the case of state lotteries, allowed to take it all - gambling was declared wholesome and indeed, as American as apple pie.

(As an aside, gambling is the one area where American conservative politicians agree that regulation is a Good Thing.)