American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
glittering-prize67

Re: Rex Rotor

Postby glittering-prize67 » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:35 am

Jonesthegarage wrote:it put me in mind of the Bergmann Imperator that you swapped with me
Now that is a stunning restoration. Well done that man, she looks simply irresistible.

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:40 am

Thank you... :woops:
The Rex was in a similar state when I got it, it had not run for many a year... :tarah:

As we are on about auctions !!THUMBSX2!! I have another little jem of mine for sale right now...[xurl=http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151247656478?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649]Haunted Churchyard working model[/xurl]
Judging from the number of hits it has had most of you on here will have already seen it. :tarah:

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Thu Mar 06, 2014 1:32 pm

Wiegandt's 1954 Rex Rotor to Pink Floyd's "Money":
(Click symbol, bottom right, to watch full screen!)

Slotalot's restored Bergmann 1957 Imperator to ABBA's "It's a Rich Man's World":

Another example:

glittering-prize67

Rex Rotor problem

Postby glittering-prize67 » Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:24 pm

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

Now, not had time to look yet as I'm restoring other peoples' stuff. Stuart has done a great job on this machine but it does have a problem. Houses with fuses are illegal and the house can be on fire before a fuse blows. I've had many old machines and none take trips out, so I'm puzzled with this. What if i use a 240 to 240 volt tranny to isolate it from the mains? Or I welcome other ideas. I love the machine so intend to keep it but I need it to not take trips out.

moonriver

Re: Rex Rotor problem

Postby moonriver » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:54 am

Just fit a suppressor. Loads of similar age machines had them fitted - sorts out the problem.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:05 am

The trip may be overcurrent, but if nothing is smoking and you have a 3 wire plug (L, N, E) it's more likely a ground fault interrupter. That goes out when the amount of current coming out of the live doesn't exactly equal the amount going back into the neutral because some of it is leaking to ground. Somewhere in the machine is a potentially lethal problem waiting to hurt you. Test the resistance from live to earth, and neutral to earth - both should be completely open circuit. If there's any current path to ground you need to find it and fix it, otherwise one day it will find you and fix you, or someone dear to you.

If it's like the machine in this video -

- the wiring looks absolutely terrifying.
Oh_Dear.jpg

pennymachines
Site Admin

Postby pennymachines » Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 am

glittering-prize67 wrote:Houses with fuses are illegal and the house can be on fire before a fuse blows.
Actually, although they wouldn't be fitted in a new house, I don't think the old wired fuses (BS3036) are either illegal to have or fit under current UK regulations.
http://rjqelectrical.co.uk/2014/02/re-wirable-fuse-box/

glittering-prize67

Postby glittering-prize67 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:28 pm

I was told by the electrician 6 years ago when we had a new consumer unit that new regulations require by law to have rcd units. And any house being rewired must have old fuse units replaced by rcds. Anyway, I have checked earth to neutral and live and seems no leakage, but when in play it might be different. I think I'm going to remove the mech and check every connection. The fact it trips can't be ignored. And maybe hiding the problem with a supressor is not the answer.

operator bell

Postby operator bell » Thu May 01, 2014 12:18 am

It's probably a moving part somewhere touching the frame. If you run it, the instant when the breaker trips is when the touch happens, so at that point unplug it and you should have more success finding the short.

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Thu May 01, 2014 10:48 am

Convert it to gas !SCARED!