3d bandit on 20p

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
special when lit

3d bandit on 20p

Post by special when lit »

Anybody used 20p pieces in a bandit designed to run on 3d?
Just got an old Mills/Boland bandit & rather than buy a load of 3d bits, I'd like to run it on 20p.
I've tried a few through it & they work OK, just wondered if they will jam the payout slides.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: 3d bandit on 20p

Post by badpenny »

Only real way to know is try it out.

The thickness will mess up the number per payout and make the award card inaccurate.
Also you may find that one or more of the slides may take x coins and a part thickness of a further one, that could stop it from sliding.

3d payout is uncommon is it a Bolands revamp?

Why not buy thrupennies?

BP
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

Three 3D coins roughly the same height as five 20p. You could try changing coin slides to the shilling/5p which Powell's favour on their 20p conversions. As BP says, something's gonna be wrong somewhere with awards. For example, on my Aristo on a 1p slide and 20p coin, a regular two payout will give 2 *20p, A four payout gives 3, a six payout gives five, 8 payout 7 and a 10 payout gives 8/9. Slides can stick too. Id love to have a 3D bandit as I have a bagfull of shiny George V 1939 uncirculated from the GPO. Can we have a photo of your machine?!?! The last nice 3D one I saw on Ebay was a Mills with that beautiful Melon casting on the belly, words escape me as to the actual model but it was in a striking green and red paintwork.
treefrog

Post by treefrog »

I am sure people ignore those old recommendations, like "do not use the wrong coins", but it is true, you can damage the slides as they do slam back hard, depending on machine and spring strength .......The old 5p as mentioned is much closer to the 20p and you can skim a few micrometers off to match the payouts as I have done and as mentioned probably what Henry does.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

would concur on old shilling for x20p but generally try to keep on original coin.

there was an old x3D hitop on ebay very recently, dont find too many hitops on

x3D these days, tend to be sixpence or old penny

GP
special when lit

Yes, it is a Mills/Boland re-vamp.
I've got a few 3d's with the machine, guess I'm going to look on ebay for some more, or wait 'till Coventry.
Anyway, here's a few pics.

special when lit

On another note, does anyone know why the piece of angle is fitted behind the handle?
Think there was a thread on here a while ago explaining it, but I can't find it now.
aristomatic

Post by aristomatic »

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I recall we concluded it was to stop machines in a row from bunching up and fouling each others handles.
Not a problem with Club Handles.

BP
smidsy

Post by smidsy »

I use this site for old coins: http://www.bulkcoins.co.uk/bulk/
They are mostly cheaper, I find than ebay.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

You're right they are cheaper than eBay, but still more expensive than The Coventry Auction.
Still if you can't wait it'd be best to put a wanted advert in The Market on this site.

BP :cool:
chris rideout

Post by chris rideout »

malcymal wrote:Three 3D coins roughly the same height as five 20p.
If you want to be spot on, the 20p coins are 1% thicker than the shilling (or old size 5p) coins. This makes no difference until you reach the 18 payout and it sometimes pays a coin short unless they are very worn. Just to add to the agony, the Channel Islands 20p coins have a slightly thicker outside edge which makes them about 5% thicker. So, if you do use shilling size coins, bear this in mind.

My old Sega runs on 20p coins and I made a small modification to the base of the slides. I milled a shallow groove along the upper surface of the safety slide which is under the coin payout slides and does not move during normal machine operation. The safety slide is an anti-tamper device that stops anyone from sticking a knitting needle or similar object up the chute in an attempt to operate the payout slides by "foul means" and not fair. Tampering in this way usually causes the safety slide to slip over the hole and prevents coins from dropping down the chute. The groove that I milled is the same width as the coin holes in the slides and only 0.3 mm in depth. This causes the coins in the tube to sit slightly lower in the slides and tube. When the 3 bells arrive, 18 coins are delivered. I just have to make sure I don't have too many Channel Islands 20p coins in the machine! As I live in Hampshire, they tend to turn up in loose change frequently.

When the machine ran on shillings, you could fill the tube with 133 coins. With 20p, it is 132 coins.