3d bandit on 20p

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: 3d bandit on 20p

Post by badpenny »

You're right they are cheaper than eBay, but still more expensive than The Coventry Auction.
Still if you can't wait it'd be best to put a wanted advert in The Market on this site.

BP :cool:
chris rideout

Re: 3d bandit on 20p

Post by chris rideout »

malcymal wrote:Three 3D coins roughly the same height as five 20p.
If you want to be spot on, the 20p coins are 1% thicker than the shilling (or old size 5p) coins. This makes no difference until you reach the 18 payout and it sometimes pays a coin short unless they are very worn. Just to add to the agony, the Channel Islands 20p coins have a slightly thicker outside edge which makes them about 5% thicker. So, if you do use shilling size coins, bear this in mind.

My old Sega runs on 20p coins and I made a small modification to the base of the slides. I milled a shallow groove along the upper surface of the safety slide which is under the coin payout slides and does not move during normal machine operation. The safety slide is an anti-tamper device that stops anyone from sticking a knitting needle or similar object up the chute in an attempt to operate the payout slides by "foul means" and not fair. Tampering in this way usually causes the safety slide to slip over the hole and prevents coins from dropping down the chute. The groove that I milled is the same width as the coin holes in the slides and only 0.3 mm in depth. This causes the coins in the tube to sit slightly lower in the slides and tube. When the 3 bells arrive, 18 coins are delivered. I just have to make sure I don't have too many Channel Islands 20p coins in the machine! As I live in Hampshire, they tend to turn up in loose change frequently.

When the machine ran on shillings, you could fill the tube with 133 coins. With 20p, it is 132 coins.