American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
simon

Rotamints

Postby simon » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:19 pm

Topic moved & merged - Site Admin.

I now have three of these b*^&&%^$ things. I have a Lexus with a missing front glass(as does someone else on this forum) and I now have a Rotamint Karat (1961).

This has damage to the driver motor and is missing a switch on the coin acceptor.

Has anyone else got a Karat who could take a few photos for me of the insides?
IMG00159.jpg

slotalot

Re: Rotamint Karat

Postby slotalot » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi Simon, Is your Karat a floor standing model like this?... if so I have a Bergman Imperator that has the same style cabinet, maybe some of the working will be the same, if you post a better photo of the insides of your machine I will see if it is in anyway the same as mine. Regards Stuart.
finnish2.jpg
My Imperator
262_img.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Would you like me to have a hunt around the back of my compost heap just in case there's one there?

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:51 pm

Hi Jeremy :D, I think you will find the frost will have killed them all :oops: , but you might find traces of a manual for one ;-) wink-wink, nudge,nudge, if you know what I mean?..... By the way are you feeling ok now? last I heard you were keeping the nurses busy..... :byee:

simon

Postby simon » Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm

Ha ha ha!
I'm actually quite fond of electro-mechanical stuff.

Anyway - thanks for the assistance Stuart, but all of mine are wall mounted. The Karat is 1961 version of this Rotamint and mine runs on 3d.
Karat.jpg
Karat.jpg (3.65 KiB) Viewed 2420 times

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Postby badpenny » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:15 pm

Stuart, the frost didn't kill the one I gave you .... oops! I confess I left it outside longer than I admitted to.

Oh my god I just realised I haven't sent you the manual yet ....... I can't blame it on the electro shock therapy as there is a long waiting list for that now they've discovered how to do it under anaesthetic .... very popular and doesn't knacker your liver like the pills they pedal ............ anyway it's safe here and I promise I'll get it to you as soon as they trust me to enter a Post Office again without freaking out the pensioners.

Just to prove that Man from Coventry not gargle with forked tonsils: -
manual1.jpg
manual2.jpg
manual3.jpg

slotalot

Postby slotalot » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:16 pm

WHAT!.. Are you saying you still have a post office that's open in Coventry? ;-)

coppinpr

Rotamints

Postby coppinpr » Mon Jan 17, 2011 4:34 pm

Topic merged - Site Admin.

I just bought my second Bergman Electro-mech slot machine (I can hear all the purists groan from here!) But I wanted to say a little in their favor.
I bought my first one (now finished, see photo) really because I used to be a pinball guy and they have much in common but when I started work on it I really enjoyed getting it looking and working right; the end result really looks great. Now I'm very much looking forward to working on the Rotamint I just
bought, and boy it needs some work!

I believe this type of machine has a unique place in slot machine history as they represent the period of change from the lovely mechanical machines of the pre-60s to nasty chip-driven machines of today and they definitely have a 1950s charm with their increasing use of plastics and their very 50s designs. The Rotamint shown below is surly a late 50s classic with its plastic numbers and plain case. They were cheaply made for sure but are still going today with little repair needed. They are cheap to buy, around £100 gets you a machine in good working order, making them a good entry level machine for someone looking to start out collecting. One thing I particularly like is they almost always still have their metal name plate on the outside which, with typical German attention to detail, tells you exactly the date it was made, to the day! No 'somewhere around 1959' for these boys : '3rd April 1959', it says on my Rotamint and no mucking about.

So don't just turn up your nose and polish your Rol-A-Top one more time; these machines deserve a place in slot machine history. I like them anyway!
rotamint.jpg
My 1960 Rotamint super
rotamint.jpg (53.38 KiB) Viewed 2631 times
rotary2.jpg
my finished 1959 Rotary

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Re: Credit where credit is due!

Postby badpenny » Mon Jan 17, 2011 6:43 pm

I agree, I like them and although I have none at the moment I've had several over the years, and wouldn't turn my nose up at one. :cool:

malcymal

Re: Credit where credit is due!

Postby malcymal » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:08 am

I've got a Bergmann too, called Hobby. Select a number from 1 to 5. Reels spin. You can choose to stop the middle number reel (or just let it do its own thing). If it matches your selected number you win the sum of the outside reels. Mine has got a change giver. So you can play on 1NP (it also takes 20p), then put 10np in the left hand slot, which gives you 1 play and 9 coins returned. A little leaf switch detects if the tube is full enough to give change and lights the front panel accordingly. It's a keeper for me, along with my Gunther Wulff Rialto (Bingolett). Nice thing about them is they have a small base footprint meaning you can tuck them up against walls and smaller spaces.

See it in the video section https://pennymachines.co.uk/Forum/vi ... f=7&t=1779