Bergmann "Rotary"

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
coppinpr

Bergmann "Rotary"

Post by coppinpr »

Was checking out the bulbs in this T.H.Bergmann "Rotary" I've had in my collection for years and wondered why Ive never seen another like it, could it be that the front is all glass and not many have survived?
The whole glass lights up when a coin is inserted and the motor makes that deep hum as the reels spin, its nothing special but I wouldn't part with it.

rotary 3.jpg

jonesthegarage

Re: Bergmann "Rotary"

Post by jonesthegarage »

more Bergmann eye candy

previously featured on these pages the Imperator restored by Slotalot - take a bow Stuart CoNgRaTs

bergmann imperator.jpg

A sadly smashed Union for the horse racing fraternity

union.jpg

A Prasident

prasident.jpg

...and a Monaco, so rare it's not even mention on Automatix Club Deutschland - not a 10pf conversion either, it was made specifically for the English market by the look of it

monaco.jpg

badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

In case any members who joined after August 2008 are not familiar of the tale concerning the Imperator and Stuart's amazing resurrection abilities.....
Then let me take you back to a time when we gave machines away for free!

Clever Clicky thing

BP
slotalot

Post by slotalot »

I wonder what happened to the lovely Lora ?? :cool:
badpenny
Forum Moderator

Post by badpenny »

I expect we'll hear from her when she wants us to do her post graduate or doctorate ... :lol:
youngerap

Post by youngerap »

badpenny wrote:In case any members who joined after August 2008 are not familiar of the tale concerning the Imperator and Stuart's amazing resurrection abilities.....
Then let me take you back to a time when we gave machines away for free!
What an excellent read! Very entertaining and also eddicational! I almost feel the need to give some machines away.... almost

Actually, I have been trying to give one of those Bally beasties to my eldest son and a Novamat to my youngest son for months. Can I get them to pick the darned things up? Perhaps it is time to consider BP's Composting Method? !!IDEA!!
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

I've got one - the videos aren't great below but you get the idea. It was one of Harold English's and it's rather different, bit like roulette. It's very reliable but then again the machines I got from Harold were always well looked after.

Here was my description of it on youtube:
German Bergman Hobby Vintage Slot Machine 1965 - Insert coin, reels start spinning, choose a number. You may stop the middle reel when button lights, or just let the middle reel stop on its own. If the middle reel matches your chosen number you win total of the outside reels. This machine works on 1 new pence or 20 new pence. It also has a rare coin changer slot on left hand side that gives you 1 play and 9 coins returned to cash tray.

jonesthegarage

Post by jonesthegarage »

I like the Hobby, my Prasident also has the 1deutschmark entry on left for the game plus 9 credits and a lot of these machines seem to be ok on 20p or 1p without adjustment, I usually play mine on the the 10 pfennig though.

My Monaco (crap picture) has a row of 12 1967 penniesshown either side of the front and you can preload it with 12 goes, and continuing the theme, the maximum win is 1/-
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

The change machine works on the new 10p piece, guess this might be the same dimensions of the old DM. There is a leaf switch on the coin tube which detects when coins are too low and disables the change mechanism. When the coins fill up up the tube they press against the leaf switch will slowing rises to complete a circuit; this lights up the 'change available' on top left of the display glass. I have tried really hard to work out patterns with this machine, e.g. what number follows another after a certain sequence, and so far haven't been able to do it. It takes a fair bit of cash off the player, so I imagine it would have been a great earner for the operator. Winning 10 by getting two fives is extremely rare, had it once in all the time I've owned and played it.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

What makes you think this machine works to a fixed patten? Judging by the availability of certain numbers on the reels I would assume it's random, like a bandit.
malcymal

Post by malcymal »

coppinpr wrote:What makes you think this machine works to a fixed patten? Judging by the availability of certain numbers on the reels I would assume it's random, like a bandit.
Well, if you remember playing on something like the Brenco Wheel of Fortune, this definitely had a fixed pattern as can be explained on youtube; short spins, long spins dictating roughly where the arrow would land on next spin. In my local arcade a 6 win almost everytime followed a lose. The electric timing of the play sequence appears to be always the same on this machine, 10/11 seconds hence looking to see that following a winning number whether common numbers are more likely follow. As example on this one, I thought I had cracked it in that a four was more likely to follow on from a 3 or 1 rather than the other numbers.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

On the other hand my Rotomint has, I think, to be random simply using the variation of numbers to cause more low winners than high ones. As the wheels end on a free running ratchet, simply the age of the machine parts would slightly change end results. I don't have your machine so, as I said, I can only guess that it's the same. What do the forum gurus think?
operator bell

Post by operator bell »

There's usually a "scrambler" on EM machines that makes the main timer stop and start intermittently to vary the timing. This is just another motor driven switch, but on a different motor, so completely asynchronous to the main timer. I've never been inside one of those Bergmann machines so I don't know what kind of scrambler they might use - the Germans tended to do things their own way, and it could be some wonderfully intricate mechanical contraption like the drag armsfound on some Bally machines.