Calamity Gulch 2p pusher problem

American, British, French or German? We want to know about it.
pogjones

Calamity Gulch 2p pusher problem

Post by pogjones »

Hi Folks
I acquired a Calamity Gulch pusher circa 1970s a couple of weeks ago and all was well until yesterday. I opened the bottom door, emptied the coin boxes and locked the door again. When i switched the machine on, the tilt alarm started along with the flashing tilt lights. There does not appear to be a reset switch anywhere and the machine does not reset after a few minutes. Also the hopper door has shut as it would as if it was being tampered with. Does anyone have any ideas what the problem may be or how i can reset the machine.
coppinpr

Re: Calamity Gulch 2p pusher problem

Post by coppinpr »

not really my thing but if I remember from my days keeping machines running in a couple of arcades in Soho there is no reset switch other than unlocking and re locking the machine. My guess is that most likely you have tripped the tilt when you opened up and the trip has stayed open since, Either the coin boxes are pushing against something or the door is not closing correctly, Also possible the tilt dropped in when you opened the door (as it should do) and is now faulty and not disconnecting when you shut the door.
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

I have checked the coin boxes and there is nothing that they can push against. The door does not appear to have anything attached that would trip if not closed correctly. It's possible that something has gone faulty as i have carried out the same procedure a few times and not had this problem. The tilt lights have lit up a couple of times for a few seconds but the alarm has not sounded.
moonriver

Post by moonriver »

If it has any PCD in it, or even if it doesn't, and has plugs along the wiring looms, try disconnecting and reconnecting all plugs in case there are any dry joints not quite making contact. The same goes for any chips on PCB (unless soldered in) - gently press in place.
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

I have checked a few joints but will re check all the joints I can get at.
coppinpr

Post by coppinpr »

If it's old enough, it might have a solenoid on the tilt. These were in the 'on' position all the time and any movement would break the circuit causing a tilt. Tilt on pinballs in the early '70s used mercury switches to drop the solenoid. They just went dead till reset. If yours has this system, the dropped solenoid would cut one circuit and connect another (alarm and lights). This also covered a power cut or intentional disconnection. Cutting the power caused the machine to fail safe. It also meant that the solenoids were apt to burn out after years of constant use. Also, if you just got the machine and it's been idle a while, then the solenoid would be even more likely to break down when switched back on. Worth checking the tilt circuit (if there is a solenoid it could be anywhere).
pogjones

Post by pogjones »

I can't see any solenoids but there are three old type tremblers like small hammers on a strip of metal which touches another strip when they move. I tried adjusting these to no avail. Still yet to check all connections.